Memantine

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Hi everybody, I reported earlier about Dad being in hospital with severe infection, was informed by the Doctor that this was it. Anyway fast forward three weeks Dad back at nursing home, his speech is better, walking better, still very grumpy, I have sold his helicopter and spent his money!! Ha. I can cope with his grumpy moods. They want to start Memantine again. Initially Dad improved, with Memantine, but then speech almost disappeared and he started to suffer seizures. Has anybody else experienced this?? Is it just progression with the the illness and/or Memantine.

Dikimiki

Jun 26, 2012
Wales
When my late wife was put on Memantine she suffered hallucinations and feared for her life from invisible attackers. The drug was therefore worse than ineffective.

keywest67

Mar 19, 2012
Coventry
My Dad was on memantine and it made a remarkable difference for around 18 months and then it seemed to stop working........everyone reacts different to Alzheimer's medication so I would say it's worth a try, good luck x

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
My husband started on Memantine after a series of violent delusions. Nearly 2 years on, he is still taking it. He has been quite difficult lately but I'm don't think that us anything to do with Memantine, just die ease progression.

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Thank you everybody for your comments. It is good to get different opinions and experiences. Dad was initially much improved when taking Memantine but as the dosage increased his speech disappeared and he struggled to walk. He has been hospitalised for about 3 weeks and was not given Memantine. Just got back from visiting him, what a difference again, he is walking better his speech is clear, even though he still talks rubbish and is 'suing me for every penny' It will be interesting to see if he manages better without Memantine. Will keep you posted.