Memantine

Smeds

Feb 4, 2012
Hi Everyone,
Has any one heard of Memantine we have been recommended this for my husband who has vascular dementia I have done a bit of research but does not tell you a lot always think it is better coming from people that have used it any info please.

Smeds

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Hi Smeds,

My mum was prescribed Memantine as she has severe symptoms of AD and believed to have VD. It didn't work for mum to be honest but that's not to say it won't work for anyone. Neither Aricept or Respiridone have worked for her either so I'm thinking she is beyond medicinal help.

She didn't have any horrendous side effects which is a good thing.

With all medication I think you Have to give it a try especially with this awful disease. We did however find Memantine especially hard to get hold of.

Hope all goes well,

Sharon

Dikimiki

Jun 26, 2012
Wales
My posts

If you care to look up my previous posts you will see that I have severely criticised Memantine also named Namenda. My wife spiralled into hallucinations whilst taking it, etc.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi Smeds
My mum had mixed dementia Alz and vascular dementia
She was around middle stages when we managed to get her on Memantine (Ebixa)
Mum didnt actually improve ( some do some dont) but what happened was ,within a week we noticed the daily backward slide was slowing down and very soon it stopped :)
As mum tolerated Ebixa well the dose was increased to the maximum , mum had no side effects at all

It held back any decline for over two yrs :) well over the average time docs say it will help for.
When the decline did eventually restart, it was far far slower than before mum was put on this drug so, though it wasn't working as well as it had been it was still helping
We were lucky that mums consultant was happy to keep mum on Memantine till the end

Their are no guarantees that any of these meds will help
Ebixa (memantine) is one that is most often tolerated well but some people will have side effects

If their is anything specific you want to know about this med , do ask as we have some very knowledgeable people on here,who may well be able to help

benjie

Apr 14, 2009
north staffs
Hi OH was put on Quetiapine within months of diagnosis of VasDem cos of hallucinations - v unpleasant ones! Then I asked what else he could have as i could see his deerioration andhe was prescribed aricept. After about 3 yrs, due to his last mini mental test (or whatever its called) being lower he was diagnosed as going into moderate to severe VasDem and prescribed memantime (Ebixa). Nowadays he seems to be more or less back to what he was - more aware of his situation most days and conversive - muddles words a bit but none aggressive mostly. So it's a matter of suck it and see and if things go awry then hopefully it can be withdrawn easily.

Good luck and hope things work out. xx

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Got this in an email this morning, thought i would share it with you guys.
The marketing application for Memantine FGK in Europe has been withdrawn, at the time of the withdrawal the medication was under review by the Agency's Committee for Medicinal Products for Human use. An FGK Representative Servive Gmbh stated they are withdrawing the application for strategic reasons. Recent studies have found little evidence that Memantine is effective in mild alzheimers and only 'meager' evidence for its efficacy in moderate Alzheimers.

jennyhenny

Sep 18, 2012
jennyhenny

Hi Everyone,
Has any one heard of Memantine we have been recommended this for my husband who has vascular dementia I have done a bit of research but does not tell you a lot always think it is better coming from people that have used it any info please.

Smeds

My Mum was put on this drug by her consultant in September and has been a lot better recently, She has been taking part more in conversations , and thoroughly enjoyed Christmas with all the family. Previously she was getting very stressed at the thought of going out, or having to deal with too many people and new situations. My Mum has vascular dementia and Alzheimer's. Just watch if your husband goes into hospital for any reason as our local hospital didn't give her the drug for four days when she was admitted after a fall. Hope it helps . PS I think it takes a while to work six weeks or so . Best wishes

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Memantine FGK is a trial prolonged-release capsule, I don't think the press release relates to Ebixa.