Memantine ..... how long until I see any effect?

Hez74

Aug 31, 2019
Mum (84) recently diagnosed with dementia & prescribed Memantine titration pack .... we’re up to 15mg per day so 2 weeks and 2 days in .... when should I see it having any effect? Not expecting miracles but Mum’s symptoms seem to be getting worse

Ludlow

Jul 20, 2016
SE England
My mum has been on Memantine for 3 years now and I have to say that I have never seen "any effect".
When I wanted her to stop taking it the consultant insisted that she would get worse faster if we stopped so we have just carried on with it.
I've no idea whether it really is slowing down the progression but as it doesn't appear to have any adverse effect we are just going with it.
Sorry, not what you wanted to hear, I expect.

Hez74

Aug 31, 2019
My mum has been on Memantine for 3 years now and I have to say that I have never seen "any effect".
When I wanted her to stop taking it the consultant insisted that she would get worse faster if we stopped so we have just carried on with it.
I've no idea whether it really is slowing down the progression but as it doesn't appear to have any adverse effect we are just going with it.
Thanks Ludlow .... can’t ask for more than honesty & appreciate you replying .... as you’re only too aware, this is an awful disease & you live with unpredictability ...

Ohso

Jan 4, 2018
Mum was prescribed this a few months ago and apart from a minor feeling that she was better for a couple of weeks once she was on the full dose ( after 4 weeks) I dont think she has improved at all.

I was thinking of asking for a review with the aim to take her off it so interested to read that she might have to remain on it long term as withdrawal might make her worse, I didn't know that.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH appeared to have more clarity in thinking & was quicker in his responses about 2 weeks after he started taking it.but it's really an unknown quantity because I have no idea what he would have been like without it. The memory test he took after about 4 mths had improved a little too but again whether he was just having a good day I have no idea. Overall I wouldn't want him to stop taking it.

Hez74

Aug 31, 2019
Mum was prescribed this a few months ago and apart from a minor feeling that she was better for a couple of weeks once she was on the full dose ( after 4 weeks) I dont think she has improved at all.

I was thinking of asking for a review with the aim to take her off it so interested to read that she might have to remain on it long term as withdrawal might make her worse, I didn't know that.
Hi Ohso .... so hard to know what to do for the best .... I know there’s no cure but that the medication is meant to slow the progression .... we haven’t reached full dose yet but the periods of confusion definitely seem more regular ....

Hez74

Aug 31, 2019
My OH appeared to have more clarity in thinking & was quicker in his responses about 2 weeks after he started taking it.but it's really an unknown quantity because I have no idea what he would have been like without it. The memory test he took after about 4 mths had improved a little too but again whether he was just having a good day I have no idea. Overall I wouldn't want him to stop taking it.
Thanks RosettaT .... it’s definitely a venture into the unknown .... glad to hear you think it helped .... guess time will tell with Mum & everyone’s experience is different ....

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Mum has just finished her second week. Is it helping her memory? Doubtful. She herself says it is calming her (she thinks it is sleeping tablets) Would I like her to stop taking it? I am so not sure......it makes her easier to manage and she's not so frightened, but I am still losing her every day.

Prosvetik

May 19, 2017
My mum takes memantine since 2011. Being a doctor herself it was impossible to give her any medication earlier, though the first signs of dementia appeared in 1983,as obviously she never assumed that there was any problem with her. Watching her for all this period ( being a doctor myself) I can say, you can't expect any improvement from memantine , but it slow down the progression of this cruel disease. Mum is on 20mg, she has advanced v. dementia now, so I decided to reduce the dose to 10mg. In a week the decline was so obvious, I returned to the full dose and will never cut it again.
I'm really sorry for my poor English, it's rapidly deteriorating since I stay with mum for the last 4 years, or maybe this family condition getting its grip on me... ;)

Last edited:

Hez74

Aug 31, 2019
Mum has just finished her second week. Is it helping her memory? Doubtful. She herself says it is calming her (she thinks it is sleeping tablets) Would I like her to stop taking it? I am so not sure......it makes her easier to manage and she's not so frightened, but I am still losing her every day.
Thanks for your note .... so hard a journey & so hard to know what to do for the best.

Hez74

Aug 31, 2019
My mum takes memantine since 2011. Being a doctor herself it was impossible to give her any medication earlier, though the first signs of dementia appeared in 1983,as obviously she never assumed that there was any problem with her. Watching her for all this period ( being a doctor myself) I can say, you can't expect any improvement from memantine , but it slow down the progression of this cruel disease. Mum is on 20mg, she has advanced v. dementia now, so I decided to reduce the dose to 10mg. In a week the decline was so obvious, I returned to the full dose and will never cut it again.
I'm really sorry for my poor English, it's rapidly deteriorating since I stay with mum for the last 4 years, or maybe this family condition getting its grip on me... ;)
Thanks so much for your message & viewpoint ... what a long journey you’ve had which can’t be easy.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Mementine only helps those with Alzheimers or Alzheimers/mixed dementia. It should not be prescribed for Vascular Dementia as there is nothing to help with that and research has shown it to be ineffectual. Unfortunately, some professionals seem to be prescribing it for Vascular Dementia which is pointless. It happened to my Mum but having read up on it I declined. Her GP was furious they had tried to put her on it. See NHS link below.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAKegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw08NvKfIY6ArJUoKLf-K6tn

Last edited:

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
Hi Ludlow. Would you be interested in my post? Husband off medication. Great improvent

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015

h

pevensey

Feb 14, 2012
South East Coast.

My hubby is on this a well, hes been taking it just over 3 years, he was told to take with his morning medication but after a while it started to make him really tired, knocked him out completely, I asked GP if he could stop taking it and he said the same thing, that if he did he would get worse very quickly, and he definitely couldn't stop it, he did cut the dose down a wee bit though and hinby wasnt so knocked out with it. But the last 8 months hes deteriorated a lot so not sure it's working so well now.

Ludlow

Jul 20, 2016
SE England
Hi Ludlow. Would you be interested in my post? Husband off medication. Great improvent

Only just seen this but thanks Diannie, interesting.

(I didn't know how to make a private reply to avoid bumping this thread up. Can anyone enlighten me?)

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Only just seen this but thanks Diannie, interesting.

(I didn't know how to make a private reply to avoid bumping this thread up. Can anyone enlighten me?)
I think you can click on the member's name (while you're logged in) and it says 'start conversation' or 'send message'.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mshaw6