Memantane

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
Hi, this is my first post. My husband has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's . He has been taking Donepezil for over a year with no real side effects. However because his speech is deteriorating his Consultant prescribed Memantane to take with the Donepezil. But within 2 weeks he has started having really bad symptoms of severe headaches, sleepiness, confusion, frequent bowel movements, depression etc. has anyone else had experience of this drug? I would be very grateful for any views or advice. Thanks. Diannie

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Diannie welcome to talking point, someone will answer your question l have no experience of Memantane, my hubby is on Sertraline which is anti depressant with the same side effects, have a word with your GP plenty of advice here keep posting

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
Hi Pamann. Thank you for your welcome. I had a word with our GP a few weeks ago. He didn't like to interfere with Consultant's prescription until we had seen him again. As that was 6 weeks away I decided to cut the tablets out. Side effects disappeared but his speech is really bad. Trying to weigh up the pros and cons. Hope I am doing the right thing.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015
My mum was on Donepezil first and this didn't agree with her. Her blood pressure became very low and she was very unsteady on her feet. He medication was changed to Memantine about 3 months ago and that seems to really suit her - she is much steady in that respect. Strangely enough though - we were advised to stop using the Donepezil for a week before the Memantine started.

My mum has always said in the past that medication upsets her stomach - but we have had nothing like that with either medication.

What doses is he on? Maybe its a combination of the two drugs that is causing the problems.

Its hard to know how much of the problems are caused by the progression of the disease and the medication.

Sorry to hear of your husbands problems and I hope something is sorted out soon x

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
Hi beverrino. Thank you for your reply. His prescription was for a month's supply to be given gradually until the maximum dose of 20mg per day. I wondered if the combination of the 2 drugs probably wasn't a good idea. I was hopeful the Memantane would work as reports suggest there shouldn't be severe side effects. I may ask the Consultant if we could try again but without the Donepezil.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I think in the U.S. they give the two together more often more routinely. Here it's usually one or the other. I think you did the right thing, considering your GP wasn't willing to help.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
My OH was on both at the same time. He started on donepezil when he was first diagnosed and Memantine was added two years ago when he had bad delusions. There didn't seem to be any ill effects. He has, however entered last stages ( he has Alzheimer's and vascular dementia), and both drugs have now been withdrawn.

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
Thank you, Beate and Spamar for your replies. I am so sorry Spamar your husband has now entered the later stage. I wish you well. Xx

carol4444

Feb 5, 2014
Hi Dianni. Mum was prescribed memantine when first diagnosed. Unfortunately it did not agree with her at all. Mum said she wouldn't take the tablets as they made her feel like her head was going to explode! There was no chance of getting mum to take the tablets so I just cancelled the prescription rather than waste the pills. To my surprise she seemed to improve.. Mum was more alert without them. The nightmares also disappeared. That was nine months ago and there has, of course, been a slow decline since then but I figured that it was important to make her feel as comfortable as possible for her declining years. The dementia nurse visited six weeks' ago and said she was going to ask the Dr to prescribe memantine again, this time in liquid form. I was worried as mum's pill taking could be sporadic at best and I'm not sure that the continual interrupted on/off cycle of drugs would be beneficial; but in any event the prescription never arrived. Hope this helps.

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
Hi carol4444. Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate hearing your experience. It's such a responsibility wondering whether we are doing the right thing trying to balance whether it's side effects or the disease itself.

CAD

May 1, 2015
Mementine

Hi, this is my first post. My husband has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's . He has been taking Donepezil for over a year with no real side effects. However because his speech is deteriorating his Consultant prescribed Memantane to take with the Donepezil. But within 2 weeks he has started having really bad symptoms of severe headaches, sleepiness, confusion, frequent bowel movements, depression etc. has anyone else had experience of this drug? I would be very grateful for any views or advice. Thanks. Diannie

Hi Diannie
My husband has AD and other memory problems he has been on Mamentine 20 mg since last December with Mirtazipine 30 msg he is taking further drugs for heart failure as well. He did have the problems you described at first but he was also on Sertraline and lanzoprozole at the same time . Sertraline and lanzoprozole were stopped and the head aches and frequent bowel movements stopped . Hope this helps. Christine

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
Hi Christine. Thank you. We are seeing his Consultant later. I will ask whether we can try again with Memantine only and stop the Donepezil. I appreciate your reply.

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
Just to recap. Saw Consultant this morning who advised I had done the right thing stopping the Memantine and suggested we just stay with the Donepezil for the time being. Thank you all very much for your help and advice. X

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015
oh that's good Diannie. hope that sorts his nasty side effects out. Keep well. Best wishes x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife