Meeting up (social distance allowing)

wildswimmer

Sep 24, 2020
Hello, I am the full time carer of my 84 year old mother with vascular dementia and I would really appreciate being able to meet up with friends in a similar position outdoors on a walk or similar for some extra dimension to her days. Any ideas greatly appreciated. I think all the coffee mornings and clubs are not running at the moment sadly Thank you

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
In our area Ageuk have a walking group, walking for wellness I think it's called. I've never used it but noticed on facebook that they were starting meeting again. Mum used to go to the Ageuk day centre which has reopened now with limited numbers and it looks like they are trying to restart some other activities. If you've not tried before you could try checking their website to see if anything like that is running in your area. Or if you have a local carers service, ours is called making space, maybe try calling or ringing them and seeing if they have heard of anything restarting locally. Good luck I hope you find something x https://www.ageuk.org.uk/services/in-your-area/exercise/

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to DTP @wildswimmer. I'm not sure if it is quite what you are looking for, but Mental Health Mates are a good national organisation who run walks. I joined because my anxiety levels are even higher due to caring, but you don't need to have any health worries, but just need to relax and have an hour to yourself. They are resuming walks this month.
Some memory cafes are running on zoom, certainly there is one in Bristol working that way. http://Carers.org may be able to help find something if ageUK can't.
Good luck and keep posting if you need any other advice or support.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
Hello, I am the full time carer of my 84 year old mother with vascular dementia and I would really appreciate being able to meet up with friends in a similar position outdoors on a walk or similar for some extra dimension to her days. Any ideas greatly appreciated. I think all the coffee mornings and clubs are not running at the moment sadly Thank you
@wildswimmer our local Carers group has started meeting up in person again because zoom meetings weren’t really working for many people. We are lucky enough to have a local coffee shop where we’ve been for afternoon teas in the past, the lady was more than happy for us to us the function room, if there’s more than six of us we sit at separate tables and she even supplies us with free teas and coffees. She said she’s doing this because it makes her happy to see us together again, it’s so kind of her so we always leave a good tip. It certainly has made a difference for us all. x