Meeting advice

mumofthree

Apr 11, 2011
Lancashire
Hi
My Dad's been in the local hospital for 2 weeks on Tuesday. Having spoken to the GP last week, she feels he cannot return home (he lives alone with carers 3 times a day). My brother and I have been invited to a meeting on 10 June, comprising of the GP, social worker, community nurse and ward staff.

Can anyone give me any advice on how best to approach this meeting? I presume the idea is to discuss the best way forward as Dad clearly can't remain in hospital forever. What we don't want is to feel we've been rail-roaded into anything, although we both do feel that the GP is right and we'd be unhappy about him returning home on the same basis as prior to his hospital admission.

Thanks

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It sounds as if it will be a `best interests meeting` and you have nothing to fear.

All disciplines involved in your father`s care will present their findings concerning all aspects of his health and welfare. You will have the opportunity to ask questions and your point of view will be heard.

beena

May 28, 2010
Cheshire
Hello
My first question would be what the time scale would be before discharge from hospital and, most importantly, what imput you have on where your Dad goes to?. Having had some experience of this and the speed at which decisions have to be taken, whilst being hugely emotional, you must know the facts. Only you will know what you feel is best in terms of atmosphere and care (it is also important that you, as a family, feel as happy as you can be where your Dad is) because only you know this man and his history.
Be prepared for this being a speedy (and emotional) process, but keep your Dad uppermost in whatever decisions you make-even in haste, don't be railroaded.