Medications for agitation?

HelenInBC

Mar 23, 2013
My mother has recently started having increased restlessness and agitation in the late afternoon/evenings. She will pace and can't focus on anything, and will obsess about where her boyfriend is and worry he is outside talking to someone else, etc. She will go back and forth out to the lobby looking for him. After particularly difficult evenings, she won't sleep well and will get up repeatedly during the night thinking it is daytime. (and it is hard to convince her to go back to bed)

Our caregiver company has suggested speaking to her doctor about possible medication for the evenings, to help to calm her down. I've been doing a bit of online research about this, but wanted to know if anyone else has found success with medications and what kind.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Its some time now as my husband went through this stage some 4 - 8 years ago. I certainly think you should consult the GP and maybe also the Mental Health Consultant (if your Mother has one). I am fairly sure something can be done to help although its important to make sure the dosage is right - too much and they can be zonked out.

We found it better to start with a low dose and then increase slightly until the right level was reached. Sorry cannot remember now what medication although several were tried and I believe we ended up with a combination of two.

Hopefully someone will come along with more current experience.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband was prescribed risperidone for his agitation. This was increased when he became more agitated but the increase made no difference and it was agreed that it be decreased because of side effects.

He is manageable on the lower dose but I think this is probably down to the fact he has a 1:1 carer 24 hours a day.

Jay.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alister