Medication

tcarthy

Jun 27, 2003
Ireland
My mother has alzheimers & is on medication - which although I know is not a "cure" has seemed to slow down the deterioration. I've been told that she will have to come off this medication as people are not kept on it for more than 18 months - has anyone else heard of this. Also I have been trying to get some kind of counselling for mum, but the CMPH told me that she had never heard of anyone getting counselling specifically for alzheimers & if I wanted to enquire further, I would have to get in touch with mum's GP myself - any ideas or comments (I don't live in england & have great difficulty in getting in touch with the right people)

Thanks

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi.
My husband has been on medication for almost two full years now. Like you I know that it is not a cure but it does seem to have slowed the process down. He has another appointment this week and I fully expect him to be kept on the medication. The doctor at the clinic has also said that come the time Aricept isn't making a difference there are other forms of medication to consider.

When he was first diagnosed we had regular visits from a nurse from the memory clinic and then by a community psychiatric nurse. These sessions seemed to me to like counselling but not by counsellors as such. He doesn't receive these visits now as things are going well for us. I do know, however, that I could phone the CPN any time I felt we needed to start them again.

Izzy

alison

Aug 25, 2003
gravesend, kent
My mum has been on Aricept for about 3 years, which possibly is what your mum is on. I too believe it has slowed down, as it is meant to, the deteroriation. In some areas of the UK it is not available on the NHS. You have to be in the fairly early stages to be given it. We are lucky in that it is available in our area. She has to go to a memory clinic every 6 months, where she undergoes various tests and gets a new prescription for 6 months worth. At such a time as it is not considered that the tablets are working, then they will be stopped. Aricept is very expensive, but I have never heard of the 18 month rule. I hope that helps and kind regards to you.

kate34

Sep 23, 2003
thoughts on reminyl

Dad was diagnosed back in 2001 via a PET scan and was commenced on Reminyl which they graduated the dosage upwards to 24mg a day. The medication was stopped for a while and has now been restarted again in graduated doses, he is now on 24mg a day again, but we are not convinced it is working. Would like to hear from other carers whose relative/friend is on the same drug, what are your opinions/thoughts?
Ps I know it is not a cure; as the psych nurses keep telling us, it is a 'cognitive enhancer' but most days it enhances him for a couple of hours at best.
Look forward to reading replies:)
Keep smiling!:)

PeterG

Oct 17, 2003
Hertfordshire, UK
My wife Jen is 56 & on 10mg of Aricept, has been since over 1 year. I understand the results of the memory test are the reason for staying on/being taken off Aricept. Jen scores 14 out of 30 each time, so the drug seem to be working for her, but if the patient scores 12 (or maybe is less than 12, not sure) they are no longer eligable for Aricept.

Ebixa is supposed to be the next line of defence, but I believe this is even harder to get prescribed than Aricept.

best wishes to you,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa