Medication

njc

Jul 28, 2013
Thornham, Norfolk
Memantine works well for us, good at reducing aggressive, nasty behaviour, we also have Rispiridone 0.5mg to help control the psychotic behaviour and hallucinations.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Talking Point mobile app

yorkylover

Feb 17, 2013
Fareham Hants
Had a bad few days and nights with mum she has got worse very quickly looks like she may be admitted to hospital for an assessment to sort her meds out. Im all over the place so is dad we did not want to go down that root but looks like no option. Scared of the out come. Never seen mum so distressed so angry and nasty the new meds could be making things worse she has also become very unsteady on her feet.

Dementia is so evil I just want to explode inside. Im so glad for this site as there seems no help out there when you need it especially at night or when someone is being violent. We got told to call the police how do you call the police on your own mother!!!!!

Im blocking out that I am losing my mum how do you come to terms with this.

cathykins

Aug 6, 2014
Had a bad few days and nights with mum she has got worse very quickly looks like she may be admitted to hospital for an assessment to sort her meds out. Im all over the place so is dad we did not want to go down that root but looks like no option. Scared of the out come. Never seen mum so distressed so angry and nasty the new meds could be making things worse she has also become very unsteady on her feet.

Dementia is so evil I just want to explode inside. Im so glad for this site as there seems no help out there when you need it especially at night or when someone is being violent. We got told to call the police how do you call the police on your own mother!!!!!

Im blocking out that I am losing my mum how do you come to terms with this.

I really feel for you Yorkylover, and also know exactly how you feel. We had a similar experience, when we just could not get the help we needed. We always seemed to have worse problems in the evening or weekend, and you just CANNOT get help then. My Mum changed from the most placid angel on earth, to seeming like a complaining, vicious witch.

It is important to remember, it is not your Mum, it is the Dementia. We have even thought up a name (Mildred!) to call Mum when she is being difficult or aggressive. We say 'Mum would never act like that', when Mildred is being rude or stubborn.

You are right, you are losing your loved one, but they are still here. It is one of the hardest things to come to terms with. All you can do for them is to try to make their lives as stress-free as possible.

Good luck, and keep visiting this site for support and information. We are all in this together.

Hugs

Cathykins

yorkylover

Feb 17, 2013
Fareham Hants
I really feel for you Yorkylover, and also know exactly how you feel. We had a similar experience, when we just could not get the help we needed. We always seemed to have worse problems in the evening or weekend, and you just CANNOT get help then. My Mum changed from the most placid angel on earth, to seeming like a complaining, vicious witch.

It is important to remember, it is not your Mum, it is the Dementia. We have even thought up a name (Mildred!) to call Mum when she is being difficult or aggressive. We say 'Mum would never act like that', when Mildred is being rude or stubborn.

You are right, you are losing your loved one, but they are still here. It is one of the hardest things to come to terms with. All you can do for them is to try to make their lives as stress-free as possible.

Good luck, and keep visiting this site for support and information. We are all in this together.

Hugs

Cathykins
Thank you cathykins its nice to know were not alone in how we are feeling. Sorry about your mum she sounds like she is going through similar to my mum they change so quickly and yes usually worse at weekends or at night.x

yorkylover

Feb 17, 2013
Fareham Hants
Hospital

Mum has been admitted to hospital under section 2 of the mental health act. My dad and myself are so upset guilty and just heart broken. She has become quite violent and so gone into hospital for an assessment. She has been in two days and we visited today and she looks so very sad and already looks so tired. Mum is 80 but looks in her early 70's dresses pretty well young I would say and in the ward she looks like a visitor one of the staff actually thought she was visiting. She looks like she does not belong there if that makes any sense. People keep saying its to help her but it just does not make you feel any better.

Dad is lost and wants her home to be looked after properly. The hospital staff are nice but I don't know they don't know mum what she can and cannot do!!!

We walked out of there having to leave her behind and it was heart breaking. She could be out in two weeks but could be a month and Im so scared she will come out a lot worse a totally different person. Just so upset at the moment and trying to stay strong for my dad.

cathykins

Aug 6, 2014
Mum has been admitted to hospital under section 2 of the mental health act. My dad and myself are so upset guilty and just heart broken. She has become quite violent and so gone into hospital for an assessment. She has been in two days and we visited today and she looks so very sad and already looks so tired. Mum is 80 but looks in her early 70's dresses pretty well young I would say and in the ward she looks like a visitor one of the staff actually thought she was visiting. She looks like she does not belong there if that makes any sense. People keep saying its to help her but it just does not make you feel any better.

Dad is lost and wants her home to be looked after properly. The hospital staff are nice but I don't know they don't know mum what she can and cannot do!!!

We walked out of there having to leave her behind and it was heart breaking. She could be out in two weeks but could be a month and Im so scared she will come out a lot worse a totally different person. Just so upset at the moment and trying to stay strong for my dad.

It's so hard to leave them in the care of a hospital/nursing home. I remember sobbing my heart out when we first left Mum in a care home. She looked so lost and confused.

You just have to remind yourself that you are trying to sort out the best care and treatment for them. Hopefully the staff at the hospital are used to dealing with this sort of problem, and will be able to observe her reaction to the medication and adjust as necessary.

Good luck, I hope you have some good days soon

Hugs
xx

keywest67

Mar 19, 2012
Coventry
My heart goes out to you, I have stood in your shoes with my Dad and know how it feels, bewildering and almost surreal, you can't believe it's happening.........my Dad also went to an assessment centre and was sectioned, it opened up a world or horrors for us, leaving him there looking so lost, we watched him walk up and down corridors holding hands with complete strangers, crawling on the floor and smoking imaginary cigarettes, we were phoned to say he had been aggressive and hit a nurse (my Dad was the most quiet, kindest man ever, never aggressive)
We went through so many medications, aricept didn't help, he was given anti psychotics , diazepam, so many different ones.........in the end I asked for them to try ebixa (mementine) and for my Dad this was the magic pill, it was like a light had been turned back on, instead of not knowing where the end of his nose was he was waiting for me at the door to take him home.........it allowed us to have Dad back for 12 months before he declined further and the meds simply stopped working but I know that when I was in your position 12 months of getting back to some normality was a gift..........I have no idea if this or one of the other drugs will work for your Mum but it's worth discussing with her consultant, let me know how you get on.thinking of you x