Medication

yorkylover

Feb 17, 2013
Fareham Hants
My mum has vascular dementia and her psychiatrist for the elderly has put her on mirtazapine 30mg and venlafaxine 150mg for depression and anxiety.

At the moment she thinks my dad is having an affair and its a total night mare we are still coming to terms with the dementia.

Is anyone else here caring for someone on these meds.She also had diazepam when needed but the doctor is now talking about putting her on antipsychotics which we are not sure about.

As a carer Im finding it all very hard at present and so is my dad who is now looking to retire to care for mum.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Hi I'm not sure how to do a link but if you go back to the page before this one, there is a thread entitled 'mertazipine'.
Diazepam shouldn't be used too frequently or for too long a time as it is very addictive and loses potency.
An anti psychotic drug might reign in your mum's paranoia.
Sorry you are having such a tough time, you can also look up the drugs on this sight, sorry again don't know how to do a link.

yorkylover

Feb 17, 2013
Fareham Hants
Hi I'm not sure how to do a link but if you go back to the page before this one, there is a thread entitled 'mertazipine'.
Diazepam shouldn't be used too frequently or for too long a time as it is very addictive and loses potency.
An anti psychotic drug might reign in your mum's paranoia.
Sorry you are having such a tough time, you can also look up the drugs on this sight, sorry again don't know how to do a link.[/QUOTe

Thank you for your reply and help.x

Ash148

Jan 1, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Yorkylover, my mum is on a lot of medication, including venlafaxine and drugs similar to diazepam, plus antipsychotics. We agonised a lot about the antipsychotics but mum was having a lot of hallucinations and crazy conspiracy theories (including that dad is having an affair with me, her eldest daughter) and the antipsychotics have stopped all of that. I am still very worried about the diazepam type drugs that mum is taking, will be posting myself for advice on this soon.

Good luck, vascular dementia and all that goes with it are very hard to come to terms with.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
My mum has vascular dementia and her psychiatrist for the elderly has put her on mirtazapine 30mg and venlafaxine 150mg for depression and anxiety.

At the moment she thinks my dad is having an affair and its a total night mare we are still coming to terms with the dementia.

Is anyone else here caring for someone on these meds.She also had diazepam when needed but the doctor is now talking about putting her on antipsychotics which we are not sure about.

As a carer Im finding it all very hard at present and so is my dad who is now looking to retire to care for mum.

it is all confusing my mum has just passed 15 days on 15mg once a day mirtazapine, I think the benefits are beginning to kick in. it has helped with mums depression and possibily helps her to switch off at night and sleep at least for 4 hours, but who knows. my sister wants the doctor to prescribe diazepam as well. I, however don't, am not so sure, the brain is so complicated and dementia even more so.

yorkylover

Feb 17, 2013
Fareham Hants
Mum has now been given antiphyschotics she has been on them about a week.They went away for the weekend on Friday but had to come home Sat as mum started behaving out of character.She was very moody crying knocking on other peoples caravan doors wanting to give people money talking to strangers.She had my dad in tears as he has never seen her so bad and he was so sad to see it.But since coming home she has been a lot better so we think it wasn't the medication but the unfamiliar surroundings and being out of her comfort zone making her confused.

We have been talking about her coming of all the meds all together has anyone else done this nothing seems to be doing much.we have seen a big difference in her in the last six months.The communication is so bad the mood are bad but meds don't seem to do much at all.Do people with vascular dementia seem to go down quickly.

yorkylover

Feb 17, 2013
Fareham Hants
antipyschotics

Mums had to come off the antipyschotics for a week as she has been having falls.
Struggling to cope at the moment she is being so nasty and quite evil actually.Just feel like walking away.
Seeing the cpn next week our first appointment.

yorkylover

Feb 17, 2013
Fareham Hants
Dementia worse

Mum seems to have got worse quite quickly all of a sudden her older peoples mental health doctor has said they cannot do anymore for the vascular dementia but offered to put her on respiradon for when she gets nasty.Still thinking about it.

Dad retired in September aged 74 and is finding it very hard to look after her and I am there all day every day so he is not alone.Its so hard work and dementia just takes over your life!!!!Mum is physically very fit but her mind is getting worse very quickly.

I cannot remember on how to post a new thread????

Respite isn't an option at the moment as although mums memory is bad and conversation she is still quite with it still doing a lot for her self.

My brother has just gone on remand in prison not that he helps anyway but its all happening at once.Just need to vent really to people who understand.

We have been offered groups for carers and the person being cared for has anyone gone along to these?do they help?

Just so very tired woke up one day last week and just did not want to be here!!!!:(

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
stay strong

Hello Yorky lover,

we know exactly how you feel when you say you want to run away. I feel like that most days too. My mums not been bad yet and its filling up all my free brain time. She has vascular dementia and has declined in big steps rather than gradually. I think she is having min-strokes which impact her dementia but don't show otherwise. She also has good days and bad days. We are now getting about one good day a week, but I know I should count myself lucky. It can only get worse.

Its a terrible disease and none of us would be here if we had the ability to make dementia go away. You are a hero in my book as you have no run away yet but have you asked if you are entitled to help? Day care centre would give you and your Dad a break.

Take it a day at a time and remember, you are doing brilliant as you are still here.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Alzheimer's Society among others run cafe for both cared-for and caree. They are generally very useful. Time to chat with other Carers and often the people with dementia can be looked after by volunteers, gives you a break! Plus if you want to talk something over there will be people there who can answer you questions.

yorkylover

Feb 17, 2013
Fareham Hants
Thank you for your replies its just knowing there are others out there in the same situation and we are not so alone.
Its getting the courage to go to these groups and if mum will go with others its all so hard had to phone to ask about the risperidone today as things will only get worse.

She can be so nasty and violent going back to thinking my dads having an affair again. Its trying to remember its not her its dementia but its difficult.x

velocity

Feb 18, 2013
North Notts
I had this problem last year Mum had been steadily getting worse over the last 10yrs, she was given Antipsychotic medication. She was knocking into things, tripping over couldn't speak properly her behaviour was worse. I rung the Dr. who prescribed them a few times really worried, he advised 'If I was that worried' call an Ambulance, so I did. It was the best thing for her and us. She was admitted into three different wards assessed over a period of six weeks she was diagnosed and prescribed Aricept which really helped her enormously.
Apparently the previous GP had been prescribing too many blood pressure tablets also. :(:eek:
We have had a brilliant Summer xx

yorkylover

Feb 17, 2013
Fareham Hants
I had this problem last year Mum had been steadily getting worse over the last 10yrs, she was given Antipsychotic medication. She was knocking into things, tripping over couldn't speak properly her behaviour was worse. I rung the Dr. who prescribed them a few times really worried, he advised 'If I was that worried' call an Ambulance, so I did. It was the best thing for her and us. She was admitted into three different wards assessed over a period of six weeks she was diagnosed and prescribed Aricept which really helped her enormously.
Apparently the previous GP had been prescribing too many blood pressure tablets also. :(:eek:
We have had a brilliant Summer xx

Thank you.x

Leswi

Jul 13, 2014
Bedfordshire
Memantine seems to make my mum less agitated and more compliant although 10mg dose has been agreed rather than 20mg cause she got dizzy with the higher dose. Went to hospital appointment without any argument this week which really helps. She's still confused and delusional though but seems more contented.

yorkylover

Feb 17, 2013
Fareham Hants
Memantine seems to make my mum less agitated and more compliant although 10mg dose has been agreed rather than 20mg cause she got dizzy with the higher dose. Went to hospital appointment without any argument this week which really helps. She's still confused and delusional though but seems more contented.

Thank you.x

yorkylover

Feb 17, 2013
Fareham Hants
Not a good day.Actually I don't know how much more I can take.The being nasty the crying all the time I am not coping and just feel need to explode.

We were supposed to have a carers assessment nothing came about.

Has any ones relatives been in hospital to have there meds sorted out or anything.We just seem to be expected to do it all at home ourselves.

Where is the help when you need it

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBTC