medication

glyn

Nov 23, 2006
Hi, Im another newbie. Until recently my mother lived with me at home, she has dementia and is now in a psychiatric hospital being assessed. She can sometimes be aggressive and very agitated. Last week she was prescribed Quetiapine and the effect of this drug made her condition deteriorate rapidly over a week. At my request she has now been taken off Quetiapine and is being prescribed Diazepam in the next few days. Its really awful to watch her condition worsening and being in a hospital. Does anyone have experience of Diazepam. Have looked on websites and information says that aggression can increase. I am at the mercy of the doctors. Any help would be good.
Thanks

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Glyn, Welcome to TP. I`m so sorry about your mum.
I can`t give you any answers as this problem is out of my experience, but I`m sure someone will be here to help you soon.
I`m afraid with drugs we are at the mercy of doctors. All you can do is ask as many questions as you want, try to get as much information about drugs and their side effects as you can and be there for your mother.
The Alzheimers Society has a number of Factsheets. If you click on the i in the top left hand corner of the main TP page, you might be able to find more information.
All the best. Sylvia

cynron

Sep 26, 2005
east sussex
quetiapine

When my husband was in a hospital last April he was put on Quetiapine it also made him worse. He recently went into a nursing home and i asked the G P if we could take him off this drug and he agreed to reduce the dose with a veiw to weaning him off.

regards Cynron x x

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Lionel had various problems on Diazipame last year, but once the correct dosage was sorted he seemed fine.

Quepitane did not work at all for him, so he was switched to Sulpiride.
I am afraid trial and error comes into play where drugs are concerned, but once they find something that works, it can make an enormous difference to their lives.

88alli

Jan 11, 2007
Cumbria.England
Diazepam

Hi Glyn
Diazepam can cause many side effects depending on age, strength and dosage of drug. It usually has a sedating effect, makes you feel relaxed and calm. It can cause dizziness/lightheadedness. Much depends on strength/dose.
My MIL has been started on Aricept, her condition seems worse than ever since taking it. Tomorrow I am taking her back to the doc to have her dose increased! I am really not sure how she will be.
All I can advise is to give the Diazepam a chance, but if you are concerned, take it up with the doctor in charge of your Mam. There are many different meds.
Take care, keep your chin up!! Damn hard isn't it?:confused:
Diane
x

glyn

Nov 23, 2006
Thank you for your replies. Will have to keep my fingers crossed that mam doesnt have such a bad reaction to Diazepam as she had to Quetiapine.
Since stopping the Quetiapine her health has improved - she now has some colour in her cheeks and is starting to eat a little food. I can only hope this continues.

Thanks xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
My doctor gave me Diazepam when I had very bad sciatica, it is a velum, and slow the mind down relaxes all your mussels in your body , Just make you feel sleepy depending on the Mg you take , I was on 2mg Can be additive, I have never had any side effect

Its only made me feel bad when I came of them , when the pain went away , must say when I get really stress I do order a pack from Doctor as I have them on repeat Perception

Quite a nice feeling really as all my worry seem to wash over me , but I do have a additive personality, as value can be additive so I try not to take them often.