medication

Kate01

Jul 9, 2012
Hi My husband is 59 and has had Alzheimers for 3.5 years. He now cant remember anything past about 5 seconds but is fit and able still to ride his bike and walk miles, but cant hold a proper conversation but joins in at times and talks about random things.
He is on 10mg of Aricept a day and just started taking Ebixa -Menantine 5mg ( half in morning and half at night ) with view to weening him off Aricept to only 5mg dose. To eventually be on 10mg of Ebixa and 5mg of Aricept. confused so far!!

My daughter has looked into it for me and her findings dont suggest dropping off the Aricept. I'm unsure what to do but I'm thinking of letting them up the dose of Ebiza to see if there is any improvement but let it run along side the 10mg of Aricept if they will let us?
Well my question is has anyone else tried Aricept and Ebiza and if so how did they find it?

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
Hi Kate01 and welcome to TP, I'm sure you'll find lots of help and support here.

I have no experience with your medication dilema but am bumping this up again and hopefully someone will be along soon.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing you around TP.

jcookson

Feb 4, 2010
Hi

My husband has had AD for at least 8 years - 4 years since he was diagnosed. He was on 10 Aricept a day which about 18 months ago was increased to 15. There was for a short while an improvement. In February this year he was admitted to hospital with an infection and was there for 10 days. On discharge he became very aggressive and his GP asked the memory conultant to come to the house. The result of that was that he was put on 5 Ebixa for a week and then 10. This helped with the aggression but has done nothing to improve his memory or his abilities. He is at the stage where he has to be helped with personal hygiene, he gets lost in the house and needs help with eating. He is also incontinent. 3 weeks ago we visited the clinic and as a result they have now increased his Ebixa to 15 with a view to an increase to 20 if necessary. Again his general mood is much calmer but ability wise no improvement.

So he is now on 15 Aricept and 15 Ebixa. Not sure if this helps but I would not like to see my husband taken off or have his aricept decreased.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Hi
My husband is on 10mg Aricept and 10mg Ebixir. The Ebixir helped to calm him, but as far as Aricept is concerned, as the GP said, you would only know the impact by stopping it and seeing of the dementia increased, something we don't want to play with.

Hope this helps.

Jan

Kate01

Jul 9, 2012
Thank you

Thank you for the posts. Its all a lottery isnt it? with us all wanting that magical fix to have our loved ones back!
I feel he is quite up beat at the moment so we wouldn't want the doctor to reduce his Aricept as like you say, we'd hate for the dementia to increase.
We will see what happens at our next appointment.
Kate01

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfisch