medication

squirrel

Aug 30, 2006
wiltshire
Hi I'm a new member, and am helping to take care of my partners mum. One problem we are finding difficult to deal with is whether she takes her medication. Are we doing right in leaving it to her whilst she's in the early stages? How have you all dealt with this issue which is causing upset? Would be grateful for any help.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Since medication MUST be taken regularly to have the desired effect, I would say NO, do not leave it to her. Of course, if she remembers, that's fine. Perhaps a doset box with the days of the week (or month) on it would help. Since I think my mother would not have had her second and third stroke if she had been taking her meds, I feel very strongly about this!

Jennifer

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I just wanted to expand on my answer. The first thing I would wonder is if the medication is causing some side effects. It's understanable that somone wouldn't choose to take meds if they make them feel awful. The second thing is, is she having difficulty swallowing them, because if so, there are other delivery systems available, or techniques to deal with it. What meds?

Jennifer

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My Mother couldn`t cope at all with her Medication, even in a Dosage container.She would get the days of the week mixed up and move the tablets from one section to another.
When he was well , my husband used to sort all our medication out. Now he wouldn`t know where to start.
When I was caring for my neighbour, He used to throw the tablets away, because he didn`t think they were good for him. By chance I caught him, but I can only guess how long he was without his prescribed drugs

I really don`t think people with confusion, at any level, can be responsible for taking their own medication, even if it`s `organized` for them.

Grannie G

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
It might be better to get your Mum used to your handling the medications, since it's almost inevitable that you will have to take control over doing this sooner or later.

One of those things with a little box for each day of the week can be useful, but you will probably have to make sure its filled correctly, however after Dad decided that the evening was really the next morning and helped himself to the next day's tablets, we had to take complete control; we just put out each tablet in an egg-cup with a drink or something to eat when it's time to takw them now. And then double-check to make sure he hasn't forgotten to take them.

It is as you have realised very important for your Mum to take her medicines - you don't say what they are or what sort of dementia your Mum has.

It is worth checking to make sure that the medicines are not unpleasant or difficult to take or having bad side-effects, all of which could be the cause of your Mum resisting taking them. In which case talk to her Doctor, as there may be alternatives for example soluble tablets, easy to swallow capsules, liquid syrup etc. Or in the case of side-effects, different medications instead.

It is also worth seeing if the Doctor would explain to your Mum what the medicines are for, and why she needs to take them. It can't be pleasant if you just get handed pills and told to take them without knowing why. Also, most older people regard the Doctor as an "authority figure" and will accept what they say but won't when a family member says it! Oh how well I know that...

I have also found that it can be useful, when Dad starts saying "I'm not going to take those", is to say to him "that is up to you, but I will have to phone the Doctor and tell him you won't take them" or "well it's up to you to tell the Doctor you won't take the tablets he has said you need"

Lastly, is it possible your Mum has read the leaflet that came with the medications and has been frightened by the list of possible side-effects? Dad insists on doing this and the ones listed can be really scary! He was convinced he would get everything that was listed when he started Aricept, and actually, got none of it at all.

Last edited: