1. dmc

dmc Registered User

Mar 13, 2006
    hi
    i was wondering has anyone got any advice on giving medication my mum who has dementia needs a lot of medication every day and has trouble swallowing, she is on a soft diet, my dad who is the main carer is getting very stressed becouse of the situation which is not helping matters as she's only been home from hospital for 2 weeks this is still all new to us so any advice would help.
    donna

2. Kathleen

Kathleen Registered User

Mar 12, 2005
    West Sussex
    Hello Donna

I suggest you phone the ward your Mum was on to see how they coped, or contact the practice nurse attached to your GP. Maybe some of the medication can be given either crushed or in a liquid form, obviously you will need expert advice on that.

When I had to give my youngest medication in tablet form, she swallowed them with a spoonful of custard or a piece of mashed banana, it may not be the answer but worth a try.

Kathleen

3. dmc

dmc Registered User

Mar 13, 2006
    thanks kathleen
    we have a cpn comming round today i'll discuss options with her as my mum even seems to have diffuculty swallowing the epilim which is in liquid form, im not sure whether she's just playing my dad up :confused: or whether she needs to see the speech therapist again but i will certainly try your options
    thanks donna

4. currywurst

currywurst Registered User

Jan 29, 2006
    Hello Donna

My Mum used to have a problem taking her medication when she was unable to swallow tablets anymore. Her medication was then changed to a liquid form (apart from one which isn't available in liquid) and I gave them to her using a syringe. This worked great with one of her meds but two of them always made her cough so now I put these two in her fruit juice that she has with her breakfast along with the remaining medication crushed up and she is taking them all ok now. I may have to find another way in the future but at the moment this works!

Hope this helps

5. dmc

dmc Registered User

Mar 13, 2006
    hi currywurst
    many thanks for your reply the cpn has recommended some other forms of liquid medication that we can try! i'll also be trying some fruit drink to disguise the taste, my mum has to take 10 tablets in the morning alone so as you can imagine its a long job by the time she's swallowed them were getting the lunch time one's ready :)
    cheers