Medication

LISA YOUNG

Feb 1, 2005
BOLTON, LANCS
Hya
I just wondered if anyone could give me some advice. My Mum has now been diagnosed with alzheimers (as we expect) she is presently awaiting for her final assessment with the demtia team. When this happens she will be prescribed medication. In the meantime she has developed a couple of problems, firstly her platelete count is very high and she has also been diagnosed with protein in her water, reducing the function of her kidneys. What I wondered is - would any of these problems prevent her being prescribed her medication. My Dad is hoping the medication is going to work and it has given him something positve to hold on to, I dread that lifeline being taken away. Has anyone been through anything similar.
Lisax

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Family choices

Hi Lisa,
No I haven't been through something like that (yet). But if your family feels the benefits of the Alzheimer meds will outweigh the cons, I think you should go for it. Kidney dysfunction does not mean a person must stop taking all meds. Just that care must be taken and regular monitoring done.

After all, it's not the doctors who decide - we, the families and the sufferers, decide. Doctors can recommend and advise but ultimately it is our decision. And if Alzheimer meds help your mother (and so your father) enjoy life and be more tranquil, I think it's worth taking a chance. Especially for your dad. I will never stop being overawed by the incredibly love and tenacity displayed by spouses.

Joanne

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Lisa, I am sure the medical team will do their best to help. They will have to make sure any medication would not harm your Mum obviously, but they will I am sure, also listen to your Dad, and the needs they have as a couple which could be helped by medication. Let us know how it goes please, love She. XX