medication

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
New Medication...??

Hello Gerrie,

I'm not very up-to-date with new medications..sorry...:eek:

My husband is on Reminyl..maximum dose and has been on this dose for about 18 months..

His consultant has recently advised me that it is probably no longer working and it may be withdrawn at the next hospital visit..in August.

I'm aware that there has been a supposed miraculous "turn around" for an Alzheimer's patient who was injected with, I think, a drug for Rheumatoid Arthritis...I may be wrong.There is a lot of ongoing research..sadly it will probably be too late for any of this to benefit my husband.

Forgive me..I'm going to be blunt..

As I see it there is currently no cure for Alzheimers..current drug therapy may mask the worst symptoms..for a time..

In order for me to deal with this..for my sake..and my husband's..I prefer to know and hopefully understand what I'm dealing with now..and prepare myself for what we both may have to face in the future..

TP is helping me to come to terms with this..talking with fellow members..like yourself..reading threads and posts..asking questions..giving support..and receiving it ..

It's not an easy road that any of us travel..I wish you well..

Love gigi xx

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
...oops to add a little

like gigi said there is no cure not even here. Wish there were. I'd cure everyone! I do know that if you feel that what is going on is not alzheimers then go for a second opinion. There are problems out there that can mimic AD. I can't think of the exact problems name right now, but when mom first showed early signs and after she had been diagnosed with AD I asked the dr. if it would be possible to have an mri done to look at the brain. What we were looking for in particular was "water on the brain". It has an initialed name that starts with NH and is cured by inserting a shunt at the base and relieving the pressure. Please do not take this as a cure it is just a point to bring up .....most cases indeed are AD. I'm not a physician, but I have done my research and several years ago it was almost a point of trying to prove my sil wrong. (She's one of those people who go to school for a day and believe they have a dr's degree at the end of it.)

HUGS

Nancy

PS I want to say it is called neurohydrocephalis but am not sure.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Nancy, Namenda is called Ebixa here.

It's a drug for late-stage dementia, and can be taken in combination with one of the other three drugs.

Sadly, NICE have said that it should no longer be prescribed in England and Wales, because it's not cost-effctive.

I have to say, though, that John was on it for over a year, and it had absolutely no effect on him, though it does appear to help for some.

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
That would explain me not seeing Namenda. I've talked with a friend and this is what he sent me...he knows that there are drugs in trial here, but will not be available for at least another year or two. It seems that when there is someone working on an AD drug here before it can get approval it has more strenuos trials than other drugs. I think this is a real ethical issue and the FDA does not want to be put in the position of approving something that will come back to haunt them if it proves to have problems in the long run. Usually you can get a drug in England/Europe before it is available here.

Sorry to say that, but unfortunately it seems to be that way. Now if they come up with a cure I'm sure the FDA will jump at making it available here first. Sorry, that's just how backwards part of our government is.

HUGS

Nancy

gerrie ley

Apr 10, 2006
bradford yorkshire
Good morning carers thanks for your views on what I was told was a reversal for this dreadful disease I have been back to the advisor in Spain and he says it was on early morning television and the name of the tablet was something like ALMEHEZON I am going to try to get more information and I will post any results I get once again my thanks to all of you in the alzhimers army

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
I believe there were some stories in the press a while ago about trials of a drug, given by injection into either the neck or base of the skull.

I can;t recall any details but I believe that the drug was originally used to treat another condition. I dimly recall that it works to improve blood supply to the brain.

Maybe you saw something about that?

Frankly - don't build up any false hopes. I don;t recall there being any news of any treatments doing more than helping with some of the symptoms, temporarily.

At present, AD is a progressive, incurable and indeed mostly untreatable disease.

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
...to bring a little forward information

apparently your dr. has some information that is half truth. i have been doing some research for over here and came across a notation on phase III clinal trial drugs. These clinical trial are on 4 drugs. One of which is named...alzehemed. The trial gave significant information that has led the company not to release it until all the data is understood.

If you would like to read what was given as a synopsis here it is

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/s...ry/06-11-2007/0004605877&EDATE=#linktopagetop

Once again this is what I was saying about the US not releasing something before its time.

HUGS

Nancy