Medication

robslar

Dec 28, 2004
Virginia, USA
Anne54,

Could be. You may want to take him to his Dr and inquire about it. Larry would indicated that his legs would hurt him, in his calfs, behind his knees and in his thighs. When I told his Nerologist this he said it sound like he had "Restless Leg Syndrome, and that would keep him from sleeping and was probably the reason he did all the pacing. He was given "Clonazepam" .5mg to take 1 to two tablets at bed time. Was told to start with 1 tablet then increase to the two if needed. Well the third night I started with the two tablets, and have been doing it since, but he just wont sleep, except after the 3rd or 4th night of being up all night then he and I both get a good nights rest then the routine will start all over again. I just heard back from my pharmacy and they said his Dr called in an Rx for 2mg tablets to be taken at night. This better work because I'm getting plum wore out!

I dont think that medicine helps with the pain, it's just suppose to even out his sleep pattern, or so I was told. We'll see about that! The Dr told me to give him advil or somehting like that to help with the pain. From what I've read about Restless Leg Syndrome it can be very very painful for some, and I think Larry must have it really bad. I know people with AD wander about, but this can't all be AD.

Take care and let me know what you find out.

nikita

Jul 31, 2004
so young

its such a terrible disease but even more tragic when a partner gets it so young. my gran didnt show signs until she was 91 so she led a good life and is still going now at 94.

Doreen

Dec 3, 2004
Oldham
Hi Roslar

Just to let you know went to GP yesterday and he gave Jim sleepin tablets he said they mght not work, but last night we both had a good nights sleep it was heaven, here's hoping it carries on and it just wasn't a flash in the pan

Doreen

robslar

Dec 28, 2004
Virginia, USA
Doreen Good for you both! What did he give your husband? Maybe it's something I can suggest to my husbands Neuro to try. I'm at my wits end here.

Like you I hope it continues, this not getting any sleep is getting to get old. Not only do they need to sleep, but we need ours to be able to care for them.

Let me know who things go, and what the name of that medicine was.

Take care

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
My wife Jan, who started her symptoms at 51, was diagnosed by me when she was 54, and was finally diagnosed by the doctors when she was 59.

She cannot walk because of a bad fall when she was in hospital on assessment in 2001, from which she never was able to come home.

Though variously sitting on a special chair [details elsewhere on TP] or in a 'soft room' - effectively padded all around and up - she never stops moving.

In her chair she moves such that we have to pull her trousers up every ten minutes or so - they just get worked off her!

In the soft room, she crawls on all fours, falling to her left every minute, but never stopping moving. By the end of an hour crawling with her, trying to cushion her from her worst falls, I am totally exhausted, mentally and physically. How she finds the energy, I'll never know.

I guess as the brain stops, the body still wants to keep on going.

robslar

Dec 28, 2004
Virginia, USA
Bruce

My husband doesn't want to stop moving either. Although he is not as bad off as your wife seems, for which I'm truly sorry, my husband wont sit for any longer than a minute if I'm lucky.

I know your wife is in good hands under your care and her Dr's but a site I visit here at home there is a Psychiatrist who frequents the board, and during some of the conversations we have had he suggested that the drug Larry is on for aggitation which is Risperadal this medication can cause something called "Akathisia".

When I looked it up under WebMD it said it was a "movement disorder characterized by a feeling of inner restlessness and a compelling need to be in constant motion as well as by actions such as rocking while standing or sitting, lifting the feet as if marching on the spot and crossing and uncrossing the legs while sitting. People with akathisia are unable to sit or keep still, complain of restlessness, fidget, rock from foot to foot and pace" It continued to say "Akathisia is often a side effect of certain drugs. The drugs that can cause akathisia include Neuroleptic (antipsychotic) agents" Which Risperadal is and like I said Larry is on.

I'm sure you've checked out everything possible, you sound like you give her excellant care and she's lucky to have you to look after her. I just thought I would mentioned this, because my husbands Dr's have not even mentioned this could happen as a result of taking that medication.

Best of luck to you.

Sorry this was so long.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Many thanks for the information. Although we all try our best to keep on top of understanding what is happening, all information is useful, and things may have been overlooked in terms of medication side-effects.

I'll check!

Doreen

Dec 3, 2004
Oldham
Hi Robslar

The sleeping tablets are Zopiclone, so far so good 3 good nights sleep, I just hope it lasts because the Dr couldn't promise anything as different people react differently to drugs.

Best Wishes for 2005 no matter what it holds for us

Doreen

robslar

Dec 28, 2004
Virginia, USA
Thank you Doreen, I may inquire about those with Larry's Dr. Now I'm starting to have a problem with incontinence.

Best Wish to you to for a Happy New Year. Hope the restfull nights continue for you and hubby.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Robstar
As a matter of interest restless leg syndrome seems to be a fairly common thing,and not exclusive to AD sufferers.
My wife is on year 7 on Aricept,they seem to be still working.but how can you tell for certain?
best Wishes
Norman

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi all, Mum was on zopiclone, it works quite well, but you need to monitor how they are in the morning. Mum was sometimes so hung over that she slept for a great part of the day at daycare, didn't eat, and then went off into one soon after arriving home. She may then have slept some of night but was very wobby should she wake and need toilet etc. then same again next day at day care etc. You need to see the overall benefits and do what is right for your situation. I found that herbal night meds. often were more use as she then would be awake during day care but would sleep a bit at night for me. Of course we still had the sundowning bit regardless of whatever meds we chose, so you have to work it out what is best for your situation. Love She, XX

Doreen

Dec 3, 2004
Oldham
Hi Sheila,

Thanks for your points about Zopiclone, the Dr advised me the same, but fingers crossed at the moment Jim is sleeping well and waking up much more alert than when he was getting no sleep. I hope this continues and is not just a flash in the pan.

Doreen