Medication 'worsens Alzheimer's'

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Make's you think

I beleive that some pill's, in Ron's case made him worst.
And, I do live with him 24 hour's a day.
Just a thought.
Barb:)

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
They do say that

The neuroleptics which came under analysis in the study were thioridazine (Melleril), chlorpromazine (Largactil), haloperidol (Serenace), trifluoperazine (Stelazine) and risperidone (Risperdal).

But still they give those medication to people with a dementia also have anxiety , when really those drugs are sedatives . not Ant anxiety drugs .

EllieS

Aug 23, 2005
SOMERSET
Neuroleptic Drugs

When my Dad was very poorly - he'd been sectioned - he suffered from Parkinson Disease and Lewybody Disease.

Being very very concerned and knowing nothing I kept very closely in touch with the PD Society and ran drug changes by them as soon as I became aware of them.

I have very clear recollection of them advising that Neuroleptic Drugs should be avoided in PD sufferers.

I begged the Consultant to respect the advice from PD Society as they were very knowledgeable in this area - he wasn't happy but he did not prescribe neuroleptics at that time - he did at a future date prescribe them over the phone to the Night Nurse - but fortunately I was with her and asked for an alternative - which he agreed to.

My Dad did get back to some normality and had a couple of reasonable years before he died.

You can't trust anyone - Dad was in an Assessment Centre and at one point they were going to make 3 changes - 2 to drugs and 1 to remove my Mum from my Dad's side! I asked how on earth they would be able to determine which change had which effect! The Nurse agreed and spoke with the Consultant who made only the 1 change!!!

Nightmare - frightening - scarcy stuff for me and Mum - God only knows what my Dad was feeling, certainly not like a human being!

Hope this is of interest.

Ellie

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Ellie,

Thanks for the info.

I can't comment on the drugs part of your post..

What I did want to say is thank goodness for the nurse! And that you were there.

I think it's so important that those of us caring are made aware of the issues that may face us in the future.

Love gigi xx

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Changes in drug's

Hi All
Modopar, a well known Parkinson drug. Dopemera
Well it does what is say's on the bottle.
Dopes you.
Ron is now on 1 pill per day, the difference is beginning to show.
Pill's, well, Doctor's are human, and can make error's.
I would rather Ron was awake more, he can shake, rattle and roll all he likes.:) But stay awake.
Barb:)

mrennie25@btint

Apr 18, 2008
glasgow
mary

i agree that some drugs make alzheimers worse i live with my mother in law have done for a year she was put on aricpte witch made her worse than he was the one thing that it did inprove on was her speach it came back a little we could under stand her a bit better but they have now decided to take her of the drug altogeather because it isnt making an improvement she is getting worse she has been of it now for 6 weeks