Medication to deal with Dad's agitation episodes

cat6214

Jan 2, 2016
Central New Jersey
Dad has mild dementia but most days, in the early afternoon he gets agitated and talks a mile a minute. The drug Lorazepam has been really helpful. It calms him down, and makes him want to lie down and rest. It often helps him sleep through most of the night.

I need to find a medication that picks up when the Lorazepam does not work. Has anyone had experience with other medicines to help dementia patients calm down and sleep?

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
My other half was prescribed lorazapam to calm him down, which it does. Then I was told to try and cut it down as it is very addictive, so the drug Phenegnan has been prescribed however I have to be honest this new one does not seem to have the same effect and I have found it very difficult to reduce the lorazapam. He was started on 1 mg three times a day and I am still using 2 most days. The only thing I have noticed is that if he is calm and I have given it to him he gets very hyper, so I have now decided they way forward is only give the lorazapam when I can see he is getting agitated otherwise use the Phenegnan.

cat6214

Jan 2, 2016
Central New Jersey
Thank you for the medication esperience

My other half was prescribed lorazapam to calm him down, which it does. Then I was told to try and cut it down as it is very addictive, so the drug Phenegnan has been prescribed however I have to be honest this new one does not seem to have the same effect and I have found it very difficult to reduce the lorazapam. He was started on 1 mg three times a day and I am still using 2 most days. The only thing I have noticed is that if he is calm and I have given it to him he gets very hyper, so I have now decided they way forward is only give the lorazapam when I can see he is getting agitated otherwise use the Phenegnan.

Thank you for the reply.
Dad's Rx is for 1MG dose of Lorazepam. I only give it to him if he gets agitated. I always start with 1MG and this dose usually works.

Sometimes, if he is really agitated, I give him 2 MG after reading that for people with insomnia, 1-4 MG are typical doses. I have found that if 2MG doesn't work, increasing him to 3-4 MG won't work either. But sometimes, even 2MG doesn't work. Our doctor tried antidepressants, they did not work at all. I refuse to try sleeping aids, too concerned about side effects. That's why I was wondering about other drugs. Our next appointment with the neurologist is later this month, and I would like to educate myself on what works for other patients so I can talk to the doctor.

Last edited:

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
O/H is on mirtzapine and anti depressant been 7 weeks now they took awhile to start working and we had some very bad days with him after, however now he is sleeping better at night. My problem now is trying to give him the medicines as he refusing to take any....

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
A bit off the wall here but would anything like lavender oil help? Not to take but to put in an oil burner or a hanky hung somewhere near him. Just something that might be worth a try. Also look at his diet. If he eats normally and has no issues with food... what has he eaten? Was it packed with E numbers? I often wonder if this could cause problems like it can with young children??? What does anyone else think??

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Whilst mum was in hospital over Christmas, her side room had a very strong smell of lavender.

When ever she needed personal care, that she fought like a caged tiger to avoid, the nurses would waft a tissue drenched in lavender under her nose before they started

I do know, before lavender, mum would try to gum anyone/anything near her mouth. if she had any teeth, the scars wouldn't have been pretty

So..... For mum, whilst it didn't stop her fighting against personal care, she didn't fight so hard one she had been wafted.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman