Medication to be withdrawn

Katy44

Sep 14, 2004
My Grandma has recently started on some anti-psychotic drugs and tranquilizers, and they seem to work quite well most of the time. She is going for a CT scan (I think) tomorrow, and they have been told she cannot take her medication for 48 hours afterwards. My Grandad's life is going to be a nightmare for those two days. I don't understand why she can't take her medication, also why is she having a scan when she has AD, it's pretty advanced and it's going to cause all this aggro. What exactly do they want to achieve? I can't ask my Grandad too many questions as she is always there and will get very angry if she thinks he is talking about her.

Katy44

Sep 14, 2004
Hi everyone, sorry this was a false alarm. It's the medication for her diabetes that she can't take, not the other stuff. I was so relieved when I found out. The ironic thing is, if the lack of diabetes medecine causes a problem (if she collapses) my Grandad won't hesitate to call an ambulance to take her to hospital where they will sort it out. If she didn't take her AD medecine and started on the delusion, paranoia and anger he would stand there and take it. It would take a long time before he would call anyone! AD is an illness too, just like diabetes!

Katy44

Sep 14, 2004
In case anyone was wondering, my Aunt seems to think that the scan is to check for fluid on the brain in case this is causing or exacerbating her AD symptoms. I would like to know if anyone has any knowledge of this?

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Katy, sorry no, but can understand your frustration on this one. Hang on in there and share your worries/aggro, etc with us. Even if we don't know the answer, at least you know we are firmly in your corner!! Love She.XX

Katy44

Sep 14, 2004
How do you do it?!

Thanks for your reply Sheila.

I went to visit on Saturday it was absolutely terrible. She was delusional and aggressive and saying some awful things to us all, but especially my Granddad. We finally managed to calm her down (more likely the drugs took effect) and stayed for another hour or so and then left. I have to say I was desperate to go. My Grandad doesn't have that choice.

How on earth do you all do it? there's no way I could. No-one understands until they've seen even a little bit of it - two hours for me, but carers have it all day every day. At the risk of sounding completely false, you all have the most stressful jobs I can think of with the longest hours, the least pay, and no chance of conditions improving.
She told me she wishes she was dead, what can you say to that?! She tends to say that sort of thing when she's angry and agressive, but I think she feels that way all the time, but manages to not talk about it when she is 'normal'. I feel so sorry for her.

Sorry for the miserable email, my Aunt is calling the CPN again, hopefully they can sort out her medication. There are still good days where she chats normally and teases my Grandad good naturedly, but these are becoming more and more rare.

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Katy, when my Mum and others said that they wished they were dead, I used to say, - well your room up there's still being decorated, he needs a bit longer. You'll just have to make do with me and stay here for now, sorry! - It kind of took the edge off, gave a chance for a kiss, a hug and a smile. Then the subject could hopefully be changed to something else. It is hard, but all we can do is our best. This will be different for each of us. You go to see your Nan, you are not being false at all, just very truthful about how hard it is to see and cope with a loved one with this awful illness. Love She. XX