medication taking

carlraut

Mar 6, 2015
London
Morning, I wonder if the forum could give me some advice.

My mom was diagnosed with (vascular) dementia around 2 years ago, and more recently last year was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes (this slipped through the net, as my mom stays by herself). My main concern is her medication taking, which was always hit and miss (even with the medication being delivered in the weekly bubble style boxes for morning/noon/night, my mom would often miss days at a time (and I'd come around to find stacks of medication piled up). Who can I approach to assist with her medication taking, would it be private, local surgery, or council? I'll be honest while my sister and I are paying for a carer twice a week, and meals on wheels has started I'm struggling to find money to pay for anything more privately.

Thanks in advance

Carl

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015

My mom was diagnosed with (vascular) dementia around 2 years ago, and more recently last year was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes (this slipped through the net, as my mom stays by herself). My main concern is her medication taking, which was always hit and miss (even with the medication being delivered in the weekly bubble style boxes for morning/noon/night, my mom would often miss days at a time (and I'd come around to find stacks of medication piled up). Who can I approach to assist with her medication taking, would it be private, local surgery, or council? I'll be honest while my sister and I are paying for a carer twice a week, and meals on wheels has started I'm struggling to find money to pay for anything more privately.

Thanks in advance

Carl

Hi Carl,

How about a neighbour? Is there one who would be able to do that?

LS

Mannie

Mar 13, 2014
Bracknell area

Thanks in advance

Carl

Another reply to you gave good info about Social Services. You can go to Social Services direct or, you can achieve the same by going to her GP, who can then set the wheels in motion. She needs a carer to help her manage her meds ie help her to take them when needed, and diarize that she has done that. But also if you do it by the GP you can ask the GP to review the timing of the meds with a view to the fact she needs a carer visit. Often they start a med regime, and they can make small helpful adjustments as and when when your mums care needs change.

For my mum they changed a tablet from evening to morning, and they changed some of my dads as well to best fit with the carer visit.