Medication side effects

Aleis

Aug 8, 2013
Hello - I have just joined the forum as I hope to give and gain some support. My mum was diagnosed with Alzheimers March 2012. Mum was started on Gallatamine 8 mg and I noticed she seemed more alert until her dosage was increased to 16 mg when she started to suffer shaking episodes and what appeared to be panic attacks when she was around lots of people. After discussing with her Consultant, mum was put on Aricept 5 mg which seemed to suit her, but when increased to 10 mg she experienced nightmares. Mum subsequently refused to take any medication. This was approx 6 weeks ago and even though not taking any meds,she is still experiencing shaking episodes and becomes anxious in any situation that is different to her. I am unsure if this is just part of her illness? Does any one have any advice please?

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
It is possible but I would ask for her to be assessed again. There are medications that can help with things like nightmares and anxiety.

I think the anxiety is almost certainly caused by her not knowing what to do in different situations. People with dementia do not cope well with changes in their routines because they do not understand where they are or what they need to do. For them it is like suddenly being transported to somewhere very strange and exotic where all is different, I am sure if this happened to us we too would be anxious.