Medication reminders

Alison K

Mar 29, 2008
london
I have a patient on 4x a day meds. He forgets to take despite dossett box. Has anyone heard of anything else which reminds patients to take their meds? I did suggest as alarm on mobile phone. Thanks

taskerrose

Nov 15, 2013
I have a patient on 4x a day meds. He forgets to take despite dossett box. Has anyone heard of anything else which reminds patients to take their meds? I did suggest as alarm on mobile phone. Thanks

yes you can get alarmed boxes which can be timed to remind you to take your tablets I cant post links yet but google alarmed dosset boxes to get a list of companies, some are quite expensive but others reasonable
I work as a pharmacy technician and we also suggest a prompt card which simply lists all your meds and what time to take them. put the card somewhere where it will be seen regularly say on a fridge door to keep reminding to take your meds hope this helps

Chippy01

Mar 6, 2012
my dad has a Pivotel box which is filled by the pharmacy and a timer goes off and opens a section of the box and keeps bleeping until the box is tipped up to get the tablet out. It can be set for all different times of day etc.
we got this through a referral via the social worker to The Promoting Independence Team and the assistive Technology team - they were brilliant. There are loads of things that can help with all sorts of issues. my dad had a system of alarms on his doors so we could see if he'd gone out and if he'd left the door open and now he has a Buddi system which is a satellite tracker that he has in his coat pocket - this means he can go out as he wishes and we can see where he is. The carers put it on charge every night and in his pocket every morning.
good luck

yes you can get alarmed boxes which can be timed to remind you to take your tablets I cant post links yet but google alarmed dosset boxes to get a list of companies, some are quite expensive but others reasonable
I work as a pharmacy technician and we also suggest a prompt card which simply lists all your meds and what time to take them. put the card somewhere where it will be seen regularly say on a fridge door to keep reminding to take your meds hope this helps

taskerrose

Nov 15, 2013
That's the one as I work in a hospital setting not up to speed what's available in community we do see them occasionally and from discussions with patients and family find that they really do help

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Talking Point mobile app

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
My mum had a Pivotell supplied by the local Health Authority team, and which was filled by the pharmacist and delivered to her twice a week.

It does require a bit of "training" for the person to get used to, but if the person is capable it can really help. It is also quite large, but that helps in being difficult to get lost or hidden away!

Previously on the forum those who haven't had them supplied have bought them a bit cheaper on that online auction site... ;)

Here's a link:

http://www.pivotell.co.uk/

artyfarty

Oct 30, 2009
London
I heard of someone who had a dosette box with an alarm that was linked by telephone to a call centre. If the pills weren't removed within a certain time it alerted the call centre who rang the patient or carer to remind them to take the pills. It was supplied by the LA which I think was Tower Hamlets in London.

clareglen

Jul 9, 2013
Cumbria
I use this Tabtime Super 8 for my mum. It was designed by someone who has Parkinson's & says it's suitable for those with Parkinson's &/or dementia. It was like teaching her rocket science just to open it (only a magnet closure). Once she got the hang of it, it worked well, but it isn't that loud, but now her dementia has progressed it doesn't work so good. I have to keep an eye on it/her. I can't fill them all up as sometimes she'll take them all or sometimes she'll open it to stop the alarm & won't take the pill as 'she doesn't like the look of it' :( Battery light flashes quite a lot but I ignore it till it runs out.
http://www.betterlifehealthcare.com...=google_base&gclid=CP7w0IG9l7sCFQrpwgodFFwA4Q

luda

Jan 27, 2013
tabtime

we have an alarm tabtime and find it work well at the moment, well worth the money we got our on amazon..x:)

t0ria

Feb 22, 2015
Hi all, I found this forum through looking for advice and help with my Dad's Pivotel box, which frankly is the most frustrating and stressful thing my dad could possibly have. He has early onset dementia (diagnosed at 62) and lives independently and manages fine, although his timekeeping and spatial awareness are poor. His Pivotel box only gives him 10 minutes to take the pills and then locks, so he can't get them out. Also he is not capable of tipping something at 45 degrees in the right direction to get pills out of such a tiny hole.

3 or 4 times a week he fails to get the pills and ends up walking to the chemists with the dispenser for them to open it for him. I have tried to change the settings but we don't have a key to open it to access the buttons. last time he went to the chemist they told him if it had locked to stick a knife in the catch to open it.......

It is possibly the most impractical and frustrating thing he could possibly have been given. He was remembering to take his tablets at breakfast every day without it and I have no idea why anyone thought it would be necessary or appropriate for him.

I live about 100 miles away from my Dad and although he has complained to me over the phone about it I didn't believe it was as bad as he said it was. I have now seen it first hand and can see that what he says is correct.

Does anyone have any advice please?

Thanks
Victoria