Medication Problems

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
A few weeks ago was told that I would have to come off my medication because of a very odd reaction.

I was getting bruises and cuts without knowing what had happened and this was getting very worrying. The worst bit was when I went into the house, and my wife would ask what I had done as there was blood running down my arm, and yet I did not feel a thing.

This all to came to a head a few weeks ago, when something more series happened, so we went to see our GP, who told us that it was a reaction to my medication, but it was really up to the consultant as to whether I could come off it. He also said that the medication had probably stopped the feeling in my arms legs and fingers.

The GP then received a letter saying that it would be better for me to come off all together, but in his wisdom he told us to reduce the dose to half over a certain period, and then we could see what would happen. His reason was that the medication was working, but perhaps it needed adjusting again.

This is because it was boosted to cover my horrendous nightmares etc. But then after seeing the Clinical psychologist for three weeks, about the nightmares they stopped.

To day we were gardening and I got a nice surprise as I cut my arm and felt it sting, then I accidentally caught a rose and got a thorn in another finger which made me curse a little. My dear wife looked at me and said that it looks as if the feeling has all come back again, which is good.

These treatments are good but sadly we never hear about all these side effects. But I do think the treatment far out weighs the side effects if you can put up with it, and sadly I seem to be the odd one who gets these reactions as they do not happen very much in fact they are very rare.

Sadly my typing is now slipping and I am having problems reading and answering e-mails properly, so we will have to wait and see what happens.

But I am not too worried as I can do other things, and thats important.

Ken

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm sorry you are finding all these difficulties with your medications. You always sound so positive and upbeat. I hope you manage to get things sorted out for yourself. Take care. Izzy x

shelagh

Sep 28, 2009
Staffordshire
Medication

It's a real struggle isn't it coping with the side effects of the medication. Even after a year I still get bouts of 'Morning sickness' from ARICEPT - which is why I'm on the computer so early. But the loss of feeling must have been frightening. Glad its better.
Keep strong - we all need to.
Shelagh

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Morning Sickness

The words "morning sickness" sound so familiar as i get this with the EXIBA tablets i am on but Elaine says i am having more good days than bad days with my new medication when it used to be the other way round so i can put up with a bit of sickness, best wishes, Norrms ansd family x

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi Linda

The medication was reduced, but up till now, it is working, without too many changes. However I am slowing down on the computer these days, but it is still early days so anything can happen.

But thats not the end of the world as I can still walk and talk, and I have now got the feeling back in my arms and hands.

Best wishes

Ken

carrie99

Apr 26, 2009
Yorkshire
Medication

Sorry you are having so much too-ing and fro-ing with medication,
it must be a real pain (!). I count myself really lucky that I am not on medication yet - much more time for that as I was only diagnosed 6 months ago. Wouldn't it be nice if you could predict what will happen. I have just had a couple of minor hallucinations (weasles on the bedside telephone)- they are probably hiding in the wardrobe.

I really hope you get a good solution for the medication.

Carrie

carrie99

Apr 26, 2009
Yorkshire
Medications

Although the only medication I have is Ibroprofen for headaches:confused:, I am still getting the feeling that someone else is in the room with me (the goblin I have referred to before).
But just now (8am 12th Oct), I watched an article on telly about Terry Pratchett, and he was saying about unseen goblins or some such as well.
Does anyone else not on medication find this happening. It can be at any time of the day or night.

Carrie

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi Caroline

There have been goblins in our bedroom for the last three or so years, and where I was never frightened of the dark before, I do hate it some nights, especially if I am on my own.

I see and hear things that are not there, and this can drive you potty after a while.

I also see very big spiders walking across the floor every night, but no one else seems to see them, so it must be all in the brain, but it does get distressing.

At one stage we changed the living room carpet because I was seeing these things every few mins. Now I have to put up with it as it is obviously my brain playing tricks on me.

So I suppose we all see and hear things whether we are on medication or not.

Ken

carrie99

Apr 26, 2009
Yorkshire
Night shadows

So glad I am not the only one with these Goblins/Shadows. I mentioned them to our psychiatrist but he didn't think they were very important.
What interested me the most today on all the Terry Pratchett stuff was the "shadowy figure which follows ne everywhere I go"

This is obviously quite common - my first was on the day of my diagnosis.

Carrie:confused: