Medication Nightmare

t hall

Nov 22, 2015
Hi There,

I'm new to the forum, I care for my Mum who has Alzheimer's, she is still able to live at home on her own, and she manages quite well. She doesn't leave the house anymore so I do all her shopping etc. Last week, virtually overnight, she lost the ability to make sense of her medication. It is all set out for her in doses for the day and the time of day, but she just cannot understand what to do. I was looking at an electronic device for dispensing medication and wondered if anyone has used one of these. Are they any good? as they are quite expensive so would appreciate some feedback before I buy one. Or would it just add to the confusion, introducing something new and expecting Mum to understand it?

Thank you in advance

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015
Hi There,

I'm new to the forum, I care for my Mum who has Alzheimer's, she is still able to live at home on her own, and she manages quite well. She doesn't leave the house anymore so I do all her shopping etc. Last week, virtually overnight, she lost the ability to make sense of her medication. It is all set out for her in doses for the day and the time of day, but she just cannot understand what to do. I was looking at an electronic device for dispensing medication and wondered if anyone has used one of these. Are they any good? as they are quite expensive so would appreciate some feedback before I buy one. Or would it just add to the confusion, introducing something new and expecting Mum to understand it?

Thank you in advance

Hi t hall and welcome to TP. My mum (with Alzheimers) couldn't cope with medipacks and so I bought her this http://www.tabtime.com/medelert.html its absolutely brilliant for her.

I have it programmed for twice a day and when it goes off there is an audible alarm and an flashing light. She spent only a day or so complaining about it, and removed the batteries at first, but she quickly adapted to it. To release the tablets you just turn it upside down, that stops the alarm. The alarm goes off for 30 minutes.
You are right - not cheap, but certainly worth it I think

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
HI there, please excuse this rushed response but we had a very similar problem and the boxes did just add to the confusion. I first spoke to the doctor and we sorted out the meds so that they could just be given twice a day, then to the chemist who put them into a dossett box and delivered them to me and then I or the morning carer just gave mum the meds from the box - it was so simple I couldn't believe it and it took all the stress away from Mum and from me too.

The only thing we kept separately was paracetamol which I gave her at night before she went to bed because it stopped any overnight pain and seemed to settle her.

Hope this might help xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

t hall

Nov 22, 2015
HI there, please excuse this rushed response but we had a very similar problem and the boxes did just add to the confusion. I first spoke to the doctor and we sorted out the meds so that they could just be given twice a day, then to the chemist who put them into a dossett box and delivered them to me and then I or the morning carer just gave mum the meds from the box - it was so simple I couldn't believe it and it took all the stress away from Mum and from me too.

The only thing we kept separately was paracetamol which I gave her at night before she went to bed because it stopped any overnight pain and seemed to settle her.

Hope this might help xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The problem is, there is only me caring for Mum and I work full time, so can't go round 3 times a day when the medication is needed. I also work away from home from time to time.

t hall

Nov 22, 2015
Hi t hall and welcome to TP. My mum (with Alzheimers)I have it programmed for twice a day and when it goes off there is an audible alarm and an flashing light. She spent only a day or so complaining about it, and removed the batteries at first, but she quickly adapted to it. To release the tablets you just turn it upside down, that stops the alarm. The alarm goes off for 30 minutes.
You are right - not cheap, but certainly worth it I think

Thanks for that, I think I will give this a go, hopefully it won't be too difficult for her to master.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
The problem is, there is only me caring for Mum and I work full time, so can't go round 3 times a day when the medication is needed. I also work away from home from time to time.
Yes i agree, i did too that's why i got doc to change it to twice a day in the box and then had to get someone to do it when I was away. I think the electronic device sounds great but my ma would never have managed it - good luck hope it works sounds fab

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015

I know exactly what you mean. I work full time and am not able to be around for mum during the day. Its hard isn't it.
I go round every night after work - so I am lucky in that respect that I am usually there for supervising the 5pm dosage (when she is sundowning)
I think if you can see if someone can be around just for a few days initially to get her used to it, it would help. It surprised me how quickly my mum adapted to it.
she even thinks she fills it up herself now.
If I am not there, I can usually find someone to go (might no be so easy for you), and if I am concerned I would ring her just to make sure she has taken them.
My mums is only twice a day so its not too bad.
Good luck and keep posting - there are always people to help on this forum x