Medication choices

Grannyg

May 16, 2022
Hello, my husband had a UTI last year that took a few weeks to shift with antibiotics. Since then, his short term memory has been bad. An MRI brain scan shows only global shrinkage in line with someone of his age, but no signs of Alzheimer’. He has gone though verbal and written exercises with the neuropsychologist, some of which he passed with a superior score, others just a pass and a couple he failed. This led the memory clinic team to diagnose him with borderline Alzheimer’s. We are due to see the memory clinic nurse on Wednesday when she will tell us about medication to help with the symptoms and slow progress.
I’d be really grateful for anyone else’s experience of medication, views, advice please. Thanks.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Grannyg. I’m sorry to hear about your husband’s diagnosis but I’m glad you’ve found the forum!

I think everyone‘s experience will be different when it comes to medication.

My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 2001 and he died in 2016. After diagnosis he was immediately put on Aricept ( other name Donepezil). He was on this for I think around 10 years. He had no bad reactions to it but I know that is not the case with everyone. I’m sure others will share their different experiences here. I have no real proof but I do feel that the progress of his disease was slowed - of course I have no way of knowing if he would have deteriorated more quickly without it. Eventually the consultant at the memory clinic said she felt it was no longer having an impact and she wanted to try him on Exelone (Rivastigmine). He wasn’t on this long as the disease continued to progress. Alongside these he was also on anti depressants for most of his 16 years living with a dementia diagnosis.

That’s just my experience. I thought this link might be informative for you -

Keep posting here. You’ll get lots of understanding and support. I hope the appointment with the memory clinic nurse goes well.