Medication Changes Are Very Important

icare2

Jun 18, 2006
scotland
Hello All...
I Do Not Think What I Tried To Say Is Getting Through To The Real Point I Was Making..
The Drugs That Usually Prescibed For Someone That Has A Headache Or A Cold Usually Kick In In Few Hours Or So

But And Big One Is!!!!
The Drugs That A.d. Patients Are Prescibed Are In There Infancy
Thats Why All You Get From Even The Consultants Will Say Sukk It And See How You Go And Let Is Know How It Is Is For You..

Thankfully My Wife Has Responded Very Well To Ebixa..

But This Should Be Started At A Very Low Level And Under Very Experienced Doctor Or Nursing Supervision And In Our Own Experience It Took About 6 Weeks To Get It To The Correct Dosage

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I do not understand this post. Our GP refuses even to discuss my husband`s Alzheimers. He will prescribe for his diabetes, osteoporosis, enlarged prostate and depression, but any mention of Alzheimers results in instant referral to the geriatric psychiatrist. The GP says he is unable to prescribe for Alzheimers.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The OP is in Scotland, which may make a difference. Also, in some PCT's there's been a cost-saving push to get GP's to prescribe medication "suggested" by consultants, although I've not seen this mentioned specifically in relation to AD. I can't imagine a GP changing a consultants precription unless the patient has been specifically referred back to him/her.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
jenniferpa said:
The OP is in Scotland, which may make a difference. .

I don't think it does, in this case. We get John's AD prescriptions from the consultant, and everything else from the GP. I was told GP practices aren't funded fro AD medication.

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Yes, I agree with you. My mum's GP shows no interest in her dementia and certainly not in her medication. Her consultant (or rather the CPN) is the one who authorises prescriptions for the GP surgery. And, even her consultant asked me why she was on the particular AD drug she is on (and the dose), when we met him last month! So, I wouldn't always set such great store by a consultant either.

I think so many health professionals are now juggling so many balls that they can't keep them all in the air. It's up to us to catch them (if and when we can)!:rolleyes:

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Since Mum was discharged from hospital she hasn't GOT a consultant............ :mad: it would seem that once out it's the gp's responsibility .... but I have to say we've had more help and information re medication from the GP than we ever had from the consultant

merlin

Aug 2, 2006
Surrey
Medication Changes

Hi all

Agree the principle of a consultant but my GP claims that after our 3/4 visits to the memory clinic they have passed my wife back to him for care(and presumably)for prescribing.
Have to say that having got the first two prescriptions wrong which did not work at all for the aggression the third one also appears wrong by working too well. She has aged 10 years and is dopey for most of the time. despite me having halved the dose.
I am now trying to drag the SS into making an assessment and I'll have a go at demanding a clinical assessment. Don't hold your breath though!
God I'm depressed with the uphill struggle. It not as though the individuals are necessarily at fault it's just that the system seems to be in meltdown. At least from TP I realise that others have the same problem

Merlin

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
When I ask my doctor to do a referral to the memory clinic to do an assessment on my mother memory, he did and the lady from the memory clinic came around to our house she was not very happy about it , as she said that ones the assessment on memory is done 2 years ago in my mother case and dementia nurse had been around for a week , again 2 years ago and medication is given, that’s it your left in the hands of the SW who contacts OP AZ day centre.

my doctor give me medication for my mother AZ and she said I was lucky that he does , bitch I thought anyway she done another memory test on mum told me that mum had gone down 2 points in memory test from 12 to 10.

She also said to me if mum was in a nursing care home, with the new ruling if she scores 10 and under they take medication away, as if I told her then she said it depends if our doctor thinks if worth still giving to her , my doctor would , because his one in a million that supports me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson