Medical question: PWD complains of a chest pain...

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
This afternoon my dad has complained of a pain on the left side of his chest, he says it's quite sharp. My first thought is to monitor the situation, his pulse seemed relatively fine, he's hot but it's also a very hot day and he's not sweating more than normal for a day like this. Normally my dad won't tell me if he has pain, I do not wish to call out any ambulance if it's not needed and he finds hospitals very traumatic and they tend to lead to decline with regards to behaviour and delirium.

What should I be looking out for? I understand chances are it's something that will simply pass and be forgotten within the next hour.

But, I just worry if I'm doing the right thing or not. Do any other pwd complain about the occasional chest pain, does the fact it's on the left side around the rib cage have any significance...

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I agree dial 999 - at least then paramedics can check him out - and advise you of the benefits or otherwise of a hospital visit

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Chest pain is not something specifically dementia related. Id dial 999 too. It doesnt necessarily mean that he has to go to A&E - the paramedics can check him.

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
Hi everyone, thank you for all the replies. I think i may have just been getting flustered over nothing. My dad has no memory of any pain now and when asking him if he remembers where it was hurting he started pointing at his thigh. I'm going to call his GP tomorrow, but if it does return I will call 999 straight away and get him checked out.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
I get a sharp pain in my chest , for me it is trapped wind but I can safely distinguish what it is , much harder for you to decipher with dad , I would of thought he would have other symptoms but of course they can’t tell you . I too frequently worry if I am taking care of Mum well enough , should I be taking her to gp, should I do this that or the next thing , the pressure to look after someone else so completely when they can’t tell you is really very difficult . Hope it’s nothing too serious but if you are worried it’s never the wrong thing to call paramedics and let them check him over to put your mind at ease .