Medical Opinions Ignored by NHS Payment Assessor - BBC News

LizK

Dec 18, 2015
Surrey
Thank you for this link. It's very interesting and unfair.

We have been refused funding 3 times and my feeling at the last 2 was that the nursing home had a policy of underplaying the state of my husband as they didn't wish to lose our very high payment each month. At the first assessment by a physio, she was very well informed, had obviously read his notes thoroughly and said we would definitely get nursing care but she didn't know about funding: it was borderline.

By the second assessment, my husband was on an anti psychotic drug and sedative to allow personal care and to limit his violence, and yet the assessor said there was no change.

At the 3rd assessment, I saw her arrive, so know she hadn't read his notes. She sat down and immediately said we wouldn't get funding before she'd heard anything. She later said that her father-in-law didn't get it and I got the impression that was why we wouldn't get it either. I feel it should be more cut and dried with tick boxes, so that personal opinion is less important and it would then be the same criteria all over the country, which it obviously isn't now, judging by the BBC report.

Liz