Meaningful Activities for people living with Dementia - Advice & suggestions please

kerryboxing

Apr 24, 2017
Hi to all
My name is Kerry, I am a senior activities co-ordinator within a care home.
We currently have two suites providing care for people living with dementia.
I really would appreciate if anyone could offer me any ideas, tips, advice or guidance in providing meaningful activities for our wonderful residents.
Many thanks to you all in advance
Kerry

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hi to all
My name is Kerry, I am a senior activities co-ordinator within a care home.
We currently have two suites providing care for people living with dementia.
I really would appreciate if anyone could offer me any ideas, tips, advice or guidance in providing meaningful activities for our wonderful residents.
Many thanks to you all in advance
Kerry

Hi unfortunately dementia is different for each person so it is difficult to give general guidance in this area as each person will have different interests and abilities. I am sure that others on this forum may be able to give you better advice then I can as my mother-in-law has not yet reached the stage of going into a care home.
To be honest is my mother in law was going into a home then I would expect you to provide me with guidance

Zana

May 12, 2016
Could I just say, no matter how well meaning or wondeful the activity if there is not the right amount of staff able to give the right amount of attention to each resident nothing will work.

There are activities in my MIL home but so few staff most people sit there staring into space for most of the time.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I would also add that not everyone wants, or is happy with, activities. Mum is happy sitting in peace and any 'activity' just upsets her. So, if I do ever have to place her in a home in future, I would actually be looking for somewhere that understands that and knows when to ease off, rather than trying to force activities on someone who doesn't want it. I know it works for many, but sadly not for my mum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA