Me

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Snuff, take it you've had a sh12 day then? Here's hoping tomorrow is easier. Hope you get some sleep tonight cause that helps. Any chance of a bit of a break tomorrow? If not, get on line and have a good moan and share session. Love, She. XX

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Snuffy,

Have a look at Fact Sheet No 523. This gives useful information about 'caring for ourselves'.

I've only just had time to browse through the Fact Sheets and have found them to be very helpful.

Best wishes,

Jude

Charlie

Apr 1, 2003
Hi Snuffy,

Hope your week improves. How are you coping these days, you sound pretty drained?

My dad has just started going to a day care centre, just the one day a week at the moment, but it has made an amazing difference. Don't think my mum ever realised how much a little break would help out.

Are you getting any support at the moment?

Cheers
Charlie

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Hello Snuffy

Join the club, aren't we all? but keep on posting your moans, it's a great help.

Tomorrow is another day and you never know what may befall, hopefully something better.

Cheers barraf.

frazer

Sep 9, 2004
london
stupid

its my first time here, i've just browsed some of the messages, and now i cant stop crying. i'm sitting at my desk feeling completely powerless. i just dont know what to do. have to make big decisions by today - no good choices - so much guilt. Just helpful to know i'm not alone, in a strange sort of way.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Frazer,

Sorry to hear you are upset.

We've all had a lot of hard decisions to make so you can be sure a lot of us know how you feel - I know that probably doesn't help too much. But, if you need to discuss any issues please feel free to ask anything!

You are so right that it makes a big difference not feeling so alone!

take care
Craig

frazer

Sep 9, 2004
london
thanks

thanks for that. its the first time i've been able to cry since my mum died earlier this year - so that progress anyway.

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Fraser,

Have a really good cry! You'll feel pretty drained for a while, but after that you'll feel a whole lot better about things. It's good for clearing out the cobwebs. I do it a lot, believe me....

As Craig said, if you'd like to share some of your anxieties, then please don't hesitate to do that. You will always get a sympathetic and empathetic rely.

The whole idea of Talking Point is to share the immense problems that we all experience in caring for our loved ones. It is very helpful to know that others are coping with similar problems - and that you aren't alone. Some days are seriously blah, some days are better than blah - and some days can be a breeze in comparison.

If in doubt, just post!

Kindest regards,

Jude

JoJo

Sep 25, 2003
Shropshire
Hi Frazer

If its any consolation I did exactly the same my first time here. I have been reading these messages furtively and not posting for months - only finding my voice recently.

I cried ever night for months scared of what was going to happen to my dear old dad. But this site is invaluable because you can reach out and link up with so many people in a similar situation.

Dementia is one of the cruellest diseases going - robbing people of their very essence - and I personally think more should be done to find a solution and care for those suffering. It may be some time given our beloved health minister's lack of compassion and understanding.

Take heart that there is always someone else on here going through the same.

Jo x

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Frazer, my heart goes out to you having been in your shoes. Take it a day at a time, step at a time, and problem/decision at a time. It's all we any of us can do when dealing with this awful disease. Get on line when ever you need us, we are all fighting the same fight, you are not alone and we all care about each other on here. Thinking of you, love, She. XX

frazer

Sep 9, 2004
london
thank you

thank you so much for your support. its so hard to speak about these things. it was novel first and people were interested and concerned, but after a while even those close can't hear about it any more! how do you cope? Sometimes i feel i want to invent new problems or sickness for my dad (not that there aren't enough) just to be able to talk about it in a fresh way. but the reality is that its the same relentless dreadful thing. and you have to fight and fight just to get basic help or information. anyway, good to talk!

Chris

May 20, 2003
You OK Snuffy?

Dear Snuffy

Hope you are OK.

May not now be for you just now but there are people in the Bristol area (where I live too) that may be able to offer some assistance - a listening ear, some info , sometimes meeting up with others in same situation can help you feel better even if situation itself doesnt change.

In addition to the great crowd on this Forum - of course !!

Keep in touch.

Best Wishes Chris

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Snuffy,

Remember, we are always here, but if you need to speak to someone and get some help, please contact the Alzheimer's Help Line...

The helpline is open from 8.30am to 6.30pm Monday to Friday.
The number to dial is 0845 300 0336

The Samaritans also provide confidential emotional support, 24 hours a day. They are there if you if you're worried about something, feel upset or confused, or you just want to talk to someone.

24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every single day of the year.

National numbers
In the UK dial 08457 90 90 90, for the cost of a local call.
In the Republic of Ireland dial 1850 60 90 90, for the cost of a local call.

Email jo@samaritans.org

Website http://www.samaritans.org

Take Care
Craig

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Snuffy, R U OK? really would like to hear from you, I know how down you can get and it does help to share. Please contact us soon or PM me. Thinking of you, Love She. XX