Me panic attack

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I took my mum to the doctors today we walk it , its only 3min walk for me 10 min with walking frame when I walk with mum.

I wanted to get a letter from doctor telling council. That mum can’t take walking up down 24 steps 3 flights of stair .As we get home I leave mum walking upstairs on her own. As I hurry up carrying walking frame, as I go to look how mum getting on I find her face down on the 4th floor stairs she had fallen forward on the steps with a man trying to life her up, then another man helps with me to get her up . I take her home she looks dazed not with it was sick on floor. I call doctor who say call ambulance when ambulance arrives mum picks up & says why I called them. Anyway they take mum sugar level which was very high, so they tall her that she has to go to hospital, mum says that if they keep her in see scream the place down.

They do all sorts of test to make sure she has not had a mini stroke, blood test shows that her kidneys are not so good and urine test has lots of glucose & blood sugar level are high that if they don’t go down mum will have to go on insulin . I look at mum laying there while doctor ask if mum mouth had hang down after fall as I look at my mum face she looks so like her sister. It was like I was looking at my mum sister as mum lay there , that only 8mouths ago I was looking at her while she recovered from a stroke then died few weeks later .

Then tonight as I hunt around all the shops for a battery for mum machine to test her blood sugar levels. that I could not find it hit me I had a panic attack (so had to buy some sweets ) My mum sister died 67 years old not taking care of her diabetes, her kidneys where really bad so was her my grandmother died 57 from kidney failure she had diabetic. I just cannot get my head around this diabetic high low how to keep mum blood sager level balance. I did buy a book. I know that mum old and going to die someday, but I cannot take her going into diabetic coma and have a stroke as if I saw her sister have. The doctor at hospital said my doctor should have a diabetic nurse that can talk to me about it all. She is going to write to our doctor. all I could think was God I get my head learn about AD now diabetic, I don’t think it has sank in yet that my untie died from not looking after her diabetic tell now today

Just had to write all that down to make it more clearer in my mind I should not really eat all the sweet as I may end up with diabetic in my 50s , but I just love my HARIBO kiddie's Miz :rolleyes:

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
How horribly frightening for you Margarita. It looks like you're going to need to find a way of keeping a closer check on mums's blood sugar levels. If your mum's doctors is nearby it might just be worth going in to the surgery and asking rather than waiting for referral. Most surgeries have at least one practice nurse who has had additional diabetes trainging and should be able to advise.

It might also be worth asking about community matron. I've only just become aware of them, but the one who works with one of the surgeries I work at seems to be specifically there to help people who have several different chronic illnesses and assist with co-ordinating their care. Managing AD along with diabetes is bound to be more tricky than managing either on it's own ..... and perhaps it would help to have someone see the whole picture.

Meanwhile ......... the British Diabetic Association are a good source of help and support ........ here is the web link

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/home.htm

best wishes

Áine

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
It might also be worth asking about community matron

I have also not heard of them must write that down and ask about that, yes shall go to the doctors tomorrow and ask them and thanks for the link, sometime I can get so depress about it and do nothing that’s why its so good to share .

The other day I got a note book to write every thing down that I need to remember for mum since being on TP an really trying to be more organised

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Good luck with the doctor's margarita :)

Think you very sensible to get a notebook ........ wish I'd thought of that. I had lists, and lists of lists, but all on the backs of envelopes and it got a bit muddled at times.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Margarita, sorry you and mum had such an experience ... but pleased you have recognised a 'panic attack'. I suffered many, years ago, stemming from anxiety and depression at that time.... the relief to discover it was 'only' panic....

Not poo-pooing what anyone goes through with them - most important get YOURSELF checked out.... if you can keep recognising what is happening then you can control and even avert them...

Love, Karen, (TF), x

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
I'm sorry to hear about your Mum's fall and her high blood sugar levels. I hope she is feeling better soon and you manage to sort out a way of coping with her diabetes and her sweet tooth. Meanwhile take care of your self!
Thinking of you both,
Kayla

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Margarita
that must have been so frightening for you......I have problems with mums diabetes, only her blood sugar levels get too low.The first time i witnessed this I really thought she was dying but after she ate something she came round....its very frightening when anything like that happens....there I was dosing her up with her diabetes tablets but at the time she wasn't eating enough of anything ....she was (I've discovered since watching her like a hawk) hiding her food or flushing it down the loo....I've now been told to cut down on some of her tablets but I can't say I'm confident in trying to manage the blood sugar levels....
Karen is right....try and get yourself seen by the doctor too....panic attacks are very frightening.....
Hope you managed to get a letter from the doctor about the stairs.....thats an awful lot for her to cope with
Take care
Wendy
x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife