"Me and My Mum" C4 this evening

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Thanks for those links shall check them out.

I think they are repeats, it was done in to part first part about dementia 2nd part was about how people do not like to talk about death.

My son walks in ,then daughter they start talking to me.

If I had said I want to watch this be quite, they would of ask me what is it & they have thought I was depressed & need to get a life, they see it as a negative just what the program was saying people are scared to talk about it .So anyway to keep the peace I miss it .

zan

Jan 4, 2006
staffordshire
Just wondering how I could get hold of the programme , 'About my Grandfather....about my Grandmother.' Is it suitable to show in school and what sort of age group would it be suitable for. We adopt a charity each year in my school (differnt charity for each class) and I wondered whether Alzheimer's society might be an idea for next year but would need some suitable material to show them as well as my own experience.

Zan

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
zan said:
Just wondering how I could get hold of the programme , 'About my Grandfather....about my Grandmother.' Is it suitable to show in school and what sort of age group would it be suitable for. We adopt a charity each year in my school (differnt charity for each class) and I wondered whether Alzheimer's society might be an idea for next year but would need some suitable material to show them as well as my own experience.

Zan

This is an excellent albeit short piece of film which is no bad thing... at only six minutes in length, it would be ideal for showing kids and people like me with short attention spans! :D

Seriously though... here's a link:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/News_and_Campaigns/Alzheimers_Awareness_Week/video.htm

I got in touch with the A.S. through the 'contact us' section of the main site, and they kindly sent me a copy... I would have downloaded the vid. instead, but unfortunately I did not have a fast connection and it would have been nigh on impossible for me to access it!

If you can access the vid. through the link I posted, you will be able to see it in it's entirity.

By the way... another development might interest you:

The Community Channel's Website has the facility to view some progs. online... I asked if they could add 'Malcolm & Barbara' to their library...

Reply came a.s.a.p. saying they would find out, and if poss. add it - copyright etc. needs to be addressed first.

So if it happens, I'll be posting a link... watch this space.

:)

N.

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Margarita said:

Many thanks.

Just read it - good grief!

So I wonder what's happening?

Maybe the issue surrounds 'prompting' and assisting someone with eating...

example:

"You not hungry then Elsie... okay then, I'll leave it there for you... you can have it later."

(10 mins. later... another person comes in).

"Don't you want this then Elsie? Okay... I'll take it away"

Now if this goes on... well, you can imagine.

In the hospitals where I have worked this has been addressed by a lot of encouragement and prompting, which to the general public may be seen as 'bullying' at times... and where ever there has been a risk, regular weight monitoring has been done along with a 'fluid balance chart' to indicate what was eaten and drunk, at what time, and in what quantity.

There is no excuse for letting a person go without food or drink... and 'time factors' and 'low on staff' simply is NOT good enough.

As I said, I'm not sure if this is indeed the issue, although Istrongly suspect it is.

So I've emailed 'em from that link you gave to hopefully get more info. - I'll let you know if I get a reply.

Thanks again Margarita

N.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Maybe the issue surrounds 'prompting' and assisting someone with eating...

example:

"You not hungry then Elsie... okay then, I'll leave it there for you... you can have it later."

(10 mins. later... another person comes in).

I find that happen a lot with one man at mum care home, they leave him in the front room and put his meal in front of him now as other times I have seen the carer worker try to feed him, but he won’t take it .

So when one day walking pass him, he says someone help me please help me, I spoon feed him as the carer worker look on in amazement .another time when he keep asking for another cup of tea about 10 times even I ask and they would not give him one, he stared to pull of his nappy ,I thought good bloody teach them for being so mean

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades

Unless "Elsie" had agreed to be addressed by her forename it is showing lack of respect to the patient.
It is now standard practice in many hospitals to ask the patient"What would you like to be called"? Not to presume to use their forename.
Norman

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Not sure what stage your talking about Norman ,but

ask that question to my mum & she looks at you like you lost the plot, because she even forgets what her forename is

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Norman said:

Unless "Elsie" had agreed to be addressed by her forename it is showing lack of respect to the patient.
It is now standard practice in many hospitals to ask the patient"What would you like to be called"? Not to presume to use their forename.
Norman

Very true Norman... that is something I am aware of and adhere to.

Alan Bennett draws attention to it in this excellent link... how they abbreviate his Mother's name - have a look and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/09/24/nbennett24.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/09/24/ixnewstop.html

N.

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Margarita said:
Not sure what stage your talking about Norman ,but

Here... I'll chip in whilst I'm online.

I reckon Norman is referring to calling a person by their first name without first asking if that's all right... so instead of "Mr. Smith" you shout "Hello Joe" - often because you've heard someone else do the same and assumed that it's okay to follow suit.

But maybe they've know that person a long time...

Maybe they asked if it was okay first.

This is not specific to dementia care, nor should it be specific to the NHS or care in general - it shows respect for the individual and should be adhered to from any organisation.

If however that's NOT what Norman meant... then not only have I just displayed a lack of respect by speaking 'for him'... I've also wasted a few minutes typing all that! :D

We'll have to see what Norman says now!

N.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Great link Dearth

he brought up some good issue with Hilda.

His Conversation with his mum about his dad & his name is similar to mine with my mum at the moment; I try not to say do you remember? Anymore as I read that somewhere not to say that.

What I could not understand was ok he did like his mum being called Lily, but it brought a smile to her face, & she kiss them (the care workers ) but she never smiled or kiss him.

Why could he not talk to his mother like that? Ok got the point that he felt that they where bring hypercritical & did not really care even thought she would of never of done that before AD as he said.But it did help her in that Moment because she responded back .

Gosh so many issue & Different points of views do not want to unset any one with mine .

Last edited:

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Quote Dearth
I reckon Norman is referring to calling a person by their first name without first asking if that's all right...

You are correct ,thats what I said
Norman

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Margarita said:
Great link Dearth

What I could not understand was ok he did like his mum being called Lily, but it brought a smile to her face, & she kiss them (the care workers ) but she never smiled or kiss him.

Glad you liked the link.

The thing about abbreviating the first name... now, I have an issue with this... maybe at some stage she asked to be called Lily - it's not beyond the realms of impossibility.

Here's a wee example of how people 'don't behave as relatives want them to' taken from my own experience.

A lady on the ward I used to work on. I made her a drink of tea.

"How many sugars would you like?" asks me.

"Oh none..." chipped in the daughter readily.

"No... I have two."

"You don't Mum"

"I do."

"Since when? You've never taken sugar"

"Well - I do now"

So in the middle of this verbal tennis match, I asked again, and the lady again asked for two.

The daughter did that 'trying to whisper' trick that doesn't work... where you speak in a hiss that all can hear...

"Don't put her any in".

So I just smiled, went away and made her the drink with the two sugars added.

The point I'm making here is this: it was the lady's choice, and I was simply doing as she requested - so maybe she developed a 'sweet tooth' - she wasn't diabetic, she didn't drink numerous cups - what was the problem?

To me, this is not done maliciously, but its a relative who isn't ready to adapt to change... and that's something I can understand... subtle changes here and there can make people feel that they are 'losing' a loved one - I've seen some very distressing situations when a person is 'effing and blinding' and a relative is naturally upset, and has to say:

"He's never been like this"

And I know that's true... but they still want to share this information... and it's terrible to see someone having to explain.

Anyhow... I'll leave it at that - otherwise this'll turn into a ruddy essay!

N.

Last edited:

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Dearth said:
Thanks for that info... so it appears to relate specifically to private Nursing Homes.

It certainly does not make for a pleasant read though!

Hopefully I will get that email reply and will let you know what's said.

N.

I got a reply - in it was this:

take a look at the attached link for further info. It's a recent CSCI report on meals in care homes, and sets out the problems and some of the solutions.

http://www.csci.org.uk/about_csci/news/highlight_of_day.pdf

I'll have a look at it when I get chance - off to work shortly.

N.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I read it with interest , but still left wondering does it mean that they can not imprecate those polices if the home is privately run ?because they can not take them to court under the ruling of human right act, that why privately home can get away with it ?

Sally

Mar 16, 2004
London
Hra

Hello all,

the Human Rights Act does not cover private, only public bodies, however, someone in the House of Lords is trying to get a bill through to amend this.

Sally
x x x x x

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Margarita said:
I read it with interest , but still left wondering does it mean that they can not imprecate those polices if the home is privately run ?

I got a copy sent to me which was very kind of them... so now I can read it properly at my leisure.

Some very interesting facts and figures in there, and some useful points which I'm certainly going to utilise when I'm in work next.

I'm still unsure re: this 'public vs. private' thing though... but at least there are inspectors investigating all this and it isn't just being 'swept under the carpet'.

I'm still looking out for stuff re: this issue... if I find anything out, I'll post here.

N.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan