MCT Oil

TuppR

Apr 5, 2020
My mum (69) has recently been diagnosed with mixed dementia (vascular moderate/Alzheimer’s mild) and we’ve been advised not to start any medication yet due to potential side effects and Covid-19 risk if she was to fall. A friend with a parent who has a similar diagnosis has recommended MCT oil. We’re interested to know if anyone has any experience with this?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to DTP TuppR, you'll find lots of support here. I don't have personal experience of MCT oil but from what I've read there are various potential side effects and you really need to seek medical advice before starting to give this to someone. Bearing in mind you've been advised not to start your Mum on any medication at the moment due to potential side effects then it would seem appropriate to take the same precautions with regards to MCT oil. Although it may work well for your friend's parent there is no guarantee that it will have the same effect on your Mum so please do take medical advise before giving her anything new.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @TuppR
a warm welcome to DTP

I agree, please don't start any kinds of interventions without chatting it through with the medics ... each person responds differently and with the current situation, you don't want to risk if your mum had an adverse reaction

I do appreciate that we want to help out parent as much as possible ... maybe take this time to look into Lasting Powers of Attorney which can be found online, up to date will, finances etc ... and check out the application for Attendance Allowance, it's prpbably not approproate right now but worth having in mind as many could have applied successfully long before they did

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryMc086