May have a UTI, but the sample is contaminated again

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @nae sporran
do you have any cling film (or possibly an unused bin liner) to put across the toilet basin, with plenty of give in it unlike the old practical joke!

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
hi @nae sporran
do you have any cling film (or possibly an unused bin liner) to put across the toilet basin, with plenty of give in it unlike the old practical joke!
Sorry @Shedrech, I'm trying to work out how that works, but we do have cling film in the kitchen cupboard and a mobray raised seat, so I'll look at that idea in the morning when I'm more awake. Thanks

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @nae sporran
it allows the person to use the toilet as usual but collects the pee so you can then fill your container ... stab a hole in to let out the remainder
the clingfilm is clean so no contaminant present from it
and no-one has to try to hold a container to collect
the carers in dad's care home did this .... was a bit of a surprise once when I went to use his loo and they had just prepared it, thank goodness I noticed

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
hi @nae sporran
it allows the person to use the toilet as usual but collects the pee so you can then fill your container ... stab a hole in to let out the remainder
the clingfilm is clean so no contaminant present from it
and no-one has to try to hold a container to collect
the carers in dad's care home did this .... was a bit of a surprise once when I went to use his loo and they had just prepared it, thank goodness I noticed
What a clever idea!

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
C finally managed to produce a clean sample, so the technique works. The dip test showed no abnormalities though, and she has been dry for two days running. It's all good news, but a mystery why it seems to be clearing up on it's own. She is knackered though and a bit muddled, but that is what I started to call the new normal last summer into autumn.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
It's not going away, and this time the sample showed a UTI, so back on antibiotics for a week. The doc is helpful, but indecisive. Has anyone heard of using oestrogen cream to treat bleeding ? Doc seems to want to try it, but waiting til UTI clears up.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Depends where she is bleeding from. OH had bleeding from the bladder as a result of bad UTIs and had to have bladder wash outs, but Im guessing that this is not what C has.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Depends where she is bleeding from. OH had bleeding from the bladder as a result of bad UTIs and had to have bladder wash outs, but Im guessing that this is not what C has.
That seems to be where it is coming from, but despite a scan two years ago nobody seems to know. Next time I speak to the GP I must ask about bladder wash outs though, thank you Canary.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
That seems to be where it is coming from, but despite a scan two years ago nobody seems to know. Next time I speak to the GP I must ask about bladder wash outs though, thank you Canary.
Has it been suggested that C has a flexible cystoscopy to see inside her bladder, I had blood in my urine and after every other test they found I had a tiny tumour in my bladder which was removed.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
She thinks her father was shot in the head now. He killed himself.
Her mother and her husband died 3 months apart, but now they were both murdered on the same day. I know she has a UTI, and thankfully is on antibiotics, but I can't handle this any more. I should not have got so angry about the banging of the pots and pans last night, but the stress of listening to an intelligent woman so confused she is rambling and making up paranoid conspiracies is too much. Thankfully the man from music therapy called this afternoon or I would have cracked up.
Poor old C has no idea what is happening any longer, I should be more compassionate, but that just makes me grieve for the loss of a wonderful woman and watching her like this is heart breaking.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh Rob - my heart goes out to you. It must be so awful to watch your lovely lady change so much. You clearly care for her very much and that shines through your posts. Dementia makes compassion hard - don’t beat yourself up.

i hope the ABs kick in soon.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Oh Rob - my heart goes out to you. It must be so awful to watch your lovely lady change so much. You clearly care for her very much and that shines through your posts. Dementia makes compassion hard - don’t beat yourself up.

i hope the ABs kick in soon.
Thank you Izzy.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I remember how hard it was to listen to my husband's growing paranoia and conspiracy theories. I was heart-broken that he was suffering under such dark thoughts - and I grew ever more frightened as the paranoia became increasingly focused on me and our son.

He was constantly giving urine samples with blood traces detected but no UTI. Having said that, the ABs always improved his state of well-being, so it was agreed that they were working on some other undetected infection.

At one point a different GP decided not to prescribe antibiotics as there was no UTI I detected, just the blood trace. After two weeks of me asking for help my husband reached crisis point.

Fortunately, after this, he was put on a daily low dose of antibiotics long term. This turned things around for a good couple of years without him descending back into paranoia.

I hope the ABs kick in quickly @nae sporran - and that if this becomes a regular occurrence they are able to look at something longer-term for medication.

Thinking of you.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thank you for the hug @Bunpoots, sorry your mum went through it.
How awful for you @LynneMcV. C was on a low level for a couple of years going back 5 or 6 years ago, but that followed something like 8 UTIs in 10 months. So many I lost count. It did work though, so it's something to ask for if this continues like it did in 2013. Thank you.