Mattress

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
Just thought I'd share this in case someone else doesn't know. My dad has ordered one of these body moulded mattresses for Mum's bed. At the moment she has a topper one that goes on top of her own mattress. Anyway the district nurses were out today and asked if it was one of their mattresses. Apparently Social Work supply these memory foam mattresses and nobody said a word about it.

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Maybe your Dad could cancel the order and get one through Social Services instead if he needs to.

On more than one occasion we have struggled to buy something we needed only to meet someone within a few days who says cheerfully..........."if only you'd told me, I've just got rid of one of those" and find the exact item you worked so hard to pay for was either given to a charity shop or thrown away!

Or maybe we are just unlucky.

Kathleen

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Carer Grant of up to £350 , which I got a new washing machine for £350

Also I been told that you can get a lower rate on your water bill , if your caring for someone at home .

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Read this

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cach...+carer+grant&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=safari

1. In 2004/05 the Carers Grant will increase by £25 million to £125 million. It will
be paid as a specific formula grant with no conditions attached. Twenty percent
has been allocated using the children’s formula, 24% using the adults' (18-64)
formula and 56% using the older people's formula

PS In Uk its Not means tested or is it ? as I do not no what
Quote:
be paid as a specific formula grant with no conditions attached. ..
means

as it says no conditions , they never ask me what income I had coming in only that I was a carer to my mother

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Sorry hear the up to date one

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cach...t+2006/+2007&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&client=safari

If that does not open click hear http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publication...ions/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_4128401

ry
1. In 2006/07 and 2007/08, the Carers Grant will remain at £185 million. It will
be paid as a specific formula grant with no conditions attached. Twenty
percent has been allocated using the children’s formula, 24% using the adults'
(18-64) FSS formula and 56% using the older people's FSS formula

Just like you say about Social Work they Just don't tell you

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Maggie, that is referring to the grant the government pays to councils to cover all services for carers. I don't think it's as easy as that to get money without assessment, unless it's for heating, bathrooms, etc. I don't know, but it doesn't do any harm to apply

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Care grant is one of them and we the carer have a right to ask for it :confused:

carer Grant of up to £350, that can be spent on a Holiday, or anything that would help you in your caring role

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
In our area we had leaflets sent out to all carer , saying we can ask for up to £500 , then it went down to £350 following year out of that money above .

When I ask for it , it had gone down to £350 , ask your local Royal princess carers trust about it , if your SW not help full in coming forward about it .

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
When Lionel was at home with me we paid for everything. (O.K. so we have a little money)

Since Lionel has been in the care home (his condition is rapidly deteriating) we have purchased a special chair for him.....cost immaterial...........chair needed.

Now, although we are self funding, SS have provided a special 'water type bed', covered cot/side bars, electronic rise and fall etc. All at the time when I was enquiring about buying Lionel a similer bed.......

Well I am not asking questions,.......just grateful

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Margarita said:
Also I been told that you can get a lower rate on your water bill , if your caring for someone at home .

I have made enquiries about this Margarita, and it`s means tested.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I have made enquiries about this Margarita, and it`s means tested.

Even for pensioners caring for someone ?

PS . Seem that it is , Your think they included Attendance allowance on it

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I know Connie , I also Just don't understand the system.

Its like I always thought if you own your own property they would except you to pay for all the adaption for a shower unit , then I found out that SS would pay for it .

Its all like now when you go to university no matter what your parents income is High or Low , your still going to have to pay all the university fee back . once you start working , on Top of all the student loans you get .

where before you did not if your parents earn under 20k a year . ( university fee back )

They done it like that to make it more far , for those parents that earn just over the 20k a year and could not get the fees payed

but if you go to your university & apply for a grant ( mean tested ) its all first come first served ( don't have to pay it back ) if you don't get your application in fast the money gone .

Just like that carer grant ( if you get my point ) even thought you don't pay it back . ( they a pot of money they , they Just don't tell you about) so if you leave it all to late , because you did not know the money gone .

Maybe the carer Grant is mean tested like if you have saving over 18k

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I phone my local Royal princess carers trust in Hammersmith / Fulham about carer small grant

And they said no its not means tested , as far as they know .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA