Mattress protector and Kylie pads

Sussex Lass

Jun 21, 2021
My father's (he has early/mid stage Alzheimers) urinary incontinence is starting to get worse and I am thinking of getting a mattress protector and a Kylie bed pad. But my concern is the work this will cause my mother (who has early mixed type dementia) who has to look after things on a day to day basis.
I would prefer washable items and see that both can be washed at high temps. But how long do they take to dry if they don't have a tumble dryer or outside washing line?
Would you use a normal sheet over the mattress protector? And then the Kylie over that? I'm not sure if the Kylie is necessary yet but want to be prepared.
Thanks in advance.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I use a waterproof mattress protector (from Dunelm), then the sheet , then the Kylie , or equivalent on top.

The Kylies dry fairly quickly, but probably best to have 3, just to be sure. If they're very wet it's worth adding some Zoflora disinfectant during the wash - otherwise the smell can linger. I think that was a tip from @canary.

Is your dad on any medications that might be contributing to the incontinence? - Donepezil was a problem for us.
Does he wear pull-ups, or slips? If he's already wearing them, but fiddling with them, you might want to consider a sleepsuit for him - see the post " Bed wetting/pull up leaking at night."

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
We used a mattress protector as well as a bottom sheet then the kyle pad. We could never work out how mum managed to get the duvet wet but I think she tried to move around in bed a lot so we also had a duvet protector and despite the advertising blurb saying they didn't make a rustling noise the did. I think we had 3 or 4 kyle pads, one on, one in the wash and one just in case and I'm fairly sure we tumble dried them on a low heat

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If you can afford it, buying a mattress with a waterproof cover that has welded seams (like the sort they have in hospitals) would mean that you only have to wipe it over with anti-bac, rather than washing a removable cover. I have found that drying a washable mattress cover can take ages.
Kylie sheets, in contrast, dont take too long to dry. I usually dry them outside, but have found that if you use skirt hangers (the sort with a peg at each end) you can hook the hangers over a curtain rail and place the kylie sheet where the curtains would go and they will often dry overnight. They can absorb a huge amount of liquid - I was suprised- and seldom find that it has gone over the rest of the bedding, but I suppose it depends on how fidgety they are in bed. Yes, I use zoflora in with the wash to get rid of the smell.

Sussex Lass

Jun 21, 2021
Thanks all. That's helpful. In the meantime I have discovered they do have a tumble drier so that will make life easier. Dad has agreed to me sorting out a mattress protector which I can take with me to put on the bed the first time. He tells me he has never spoken to the doctor about the incontinence (of course he may not remember) but he does have prostate cancer and is on various meds. I'll give the surgery a ring and see if there is anything they can do/suggest.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Thanks all. That's helpful. In the meantime I have discovered they do have a tumble drier so that will make life easier. Dad has agreed to me sorting out a mattress protector which I can take with me to put on the bed the first time. He tells me he has never spoken to the doctor about the incontinence (of course he may not remember) but he does have prostate cancer and is on various meds. I'll give the surgery a ring and see if there is anything they can do/suggest.
It may be a case of changng the timing of his medications, rather than stopping them completely.

Pots and Pans

Jan 13, 2020
Can I ask if anyone else thinks Kylie sheets may make sleeper sweaty? My OH doesn't really need Kylies at night but I put one on ( over sheet and mattress protector) to be sure as there have been one or two incidents. However it is often damp in the morning and as sometimes he sleeps in bixets which are still dry it isn't pee. I think they might be making him sweat . Not sure how to get round this if so.
@Sussex Lass to help your mother with the work of changing bedding one thing I will say is to see how heavy their mattress is. What I find hard is lifting a king size deep mattress to get the Kylies tucked in. If you do have to change mattress protector and sheet too it is hard work if the mattress is heavy. Could be worth a lighter or less deep one if funds allow?