Masks

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
I have asthma as well as other health problems and I wear a mask, don't like it but I don't want to end up in hospital for not wearing one. I'm fed up with seeing people, mainly young adults, not wearing them and flouting the rules of meeting in large numbers.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I have asthma as well as other health problems and I wear a mask, don't like it but I don't want to end up in hospital for not wearing one. I'm fed up with seeing people, mainly young adults, not wearing them and flouting the rules of meeting in large numbers.
my husband has copd and really is unable to wear one using his inhaler constantly steroids you name it and was shielding being medically extremely vulnerable. he has had to put up with snide remarks and looks he shouldnt be there. please be understanding when a person really cant wear a mask. if he caught it it would be unlikely that he would survive but he has had his freedom taken away from him for too long and wouldnt be surprised if he is shielding again. m,y son does have asthma but he wears one as a teacher looking after his pupils

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My husband went to the bank the other week. The man in front of him didn't wear a mask. He was in his 60s blocked the entire car park with his jag and spoke fairly arrogantly to the counter staff. Husband was fuming as given the rest of his behaviour likely he'd chosen not to wear one.

I went to costco today. Think everyone had masks on but quite a few men in 50s and 60s didn't have nose covered. I do see more men without their nose covered than women.

I do have sympathy with teenagers in groups. Each year group is in a bubble so no social distancing yet walk out the school gates and max groups of 6. There is no logic to this and hard for them to make sense of it.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I feel that the young are being unfairly blamed for the rise in cases when it is also people my age!

MaNaAk

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I feel that the young are being unfairly blamed for the rise in cases when it is also people my age!

MaNaAk
the number of cases seem to be in any age except the over 65s which is why the death rate is low as can fight it off better although hospital admission is very quickly creeping up as is the infection rate in care home creeping up again. when the schools went back and people went back to work, when people started mixing more the spike was inevitable just through the different groups mixing again and maybe people werent being so careful anymore with the beaches and other attractions, the lake district, the new forest and they were bringing it from outside the areas. that is why our boat show got closed down and the funfairs cancelled also the fireworks on the thames for new year has got cancelled etc

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi there
It’s difficult to tell if a non mask wearing person is just being ignorant, Or has a genuine hidden disability. Why not wear a “hidden disability lanyard”, all supermarkets supply them at the customer services desk. They’re recognised in the UK shops, banks, high street, airports and supermarkets. They’re bright green with big yellow sunflowers. It worked for us for mum when we took her out pre-covid, as she would get lost in the supermarket, or shout at people randomly and make nasty comments. It would maybe save a few arguments in the shops?
hes got a card in his wallet one in his bus pass i have one of those lanyard i used because ive walk with a stick and someone had to come with me when shopping and yes i will ask him but why should he have to be labelled different. people who should wear masks should those that cant cant and other people should accept this ive asked him and hes willing to try if other people realise what it is and what it represents. wasnt sure he be willing as it has flowers on it but hes agreed.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Or whole families multi generational and not one wears a mask shopping in the supermarket, and are oblivious about social distancing, while unpacking my shopping in the belt at tbe till they stand right up behind me!
i understand that, when my husband was shielding i was so conscious of it and making sure i didnt infect him its horrible and thats why its gone up again because people are not being responsible. i ordered masks straight away to go on bus shop etc but i havent been out for 10wks as i have mobility problems why cant people just do as they are told to and keep to groups of 6 as well

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
my husband has copd and really is unable to wear one using his inhaler constantly steroids you name it and was shielding being medically extremely vulnerable. he has had to put up with snide remarks and looks he shouldnt be there. please be understanding when a person really cant wear a mask. if he caught it it would be unlikely that he would survive but he has had his freedom taken away from him for too long and wouldnt be surprised if he is shielding again. m,y son does have asthma but he wears one as a teacher looking after his pupils
I am understanding that some people cannot genuinely wear masks but certainly where I live there does seem to be a lot of people who have been flouting the rules in one way or another. I agree with MrsV regarding the hidden disabilities lanyards. When we took our dogs for a walk during the total lockdown we made sure we stayed away from other people, but there were gangs of teenagers meeting up in the parks drinking. You only have to look at the crowds outside pubs that have been on the news to see what the age group is. That is not being discriminating at all, pictures do not lie.

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Bless her, Mum (PWD) tries to wear a mask but gets in a panic when her glasses steam up. One of the ideas on a well known national optician's website is to switch to contact lens; I think that's a no.

I've given her a daffodil lanyard and told her it's a sign that she wears hearing aids; I'm learning to tell fibs!

It's all too stressful so I've had to tell her that there's no further shopping trips until things settle down.