maryelaines mum

maryelaine

Feb 25, 2008
co armagh NI.Ireland
my mum is 77yrs old she has alzheimers,we were told in oct 07,it haqs been very rapid.now she is sleeping most of the day and eating very little we are at our wits end, can u tell me if sleeping so long is part of the illness.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Hi Mareliane

I can only speak form experience with my mother in law, yes, she did sleep all the time, and, yes she did not eat much.
But, ask your doctor what is happening.
Mum in law went on to live a good few more years.
BarbX

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Maryelaine,

Alzheimers has different effects on people. If you are concerned about your mother`s sleeping and poor appetite, I`d see her doctor and ask his advice.

Is she on any medication that could cause her to sleep a lot? Is she on any medication that could be an appetite suppressant? Could boredom be the reason she sleeps? Couls lack of exercise be the reason she does not get hungry?

There are so many possibilities, only her doctor can advise you.

Take care xx

AJay

Aug 21, 2007
Leics
Hi Maryelaine

Not sure if this will help, my Dad was sleeping all the time, his doctor ran blood tests over a period of time and discovered he had a constant low blood count. He suspected an internal bleed but on being admitted to hospital it was discovered that Dad's bone marrow has stopped functioning, causing his excessive tiredness.

Dad had a transfusion and has to have one every 3 to 6 months now, not as drastic as it sounds as the transfusion can be done at home. He's also been put onto iron tablets. He has picked up a bit and although still falls asleep a lot is a bit livelier and certainly has more colour to his face. His appetite seems to have picked up aswell.

AJay xx

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
HI Maryelaine

I would definaitely get your Mum to the Gp to see if there is any underlying cuase eg thyroid function/low iron etc. While any of the dementias can make you very tired - a friend of mine who was a nursing home manager advised me in the early days of Mum's dementia when she was complaining of fatigue it is becuase the brain is having to do as much effort as you would do in an exam every day just to do the normal routine daily tasks - it is worth while checking out all the other possible causes first to ensure that your Mum's quality of life is as good as it can be.

Mameeskye

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhubarb1989