1. jude1950

jude1950 Registered User

Mar 23, 2006
    Lincolnshire
    Hello everyone
    It is a while since I last posted but I have been "Lurking" and keeping up to date with whats going on.
    My partner of ten years has Alzheimers Disease he is on 24mg Reminyll daily and
    seems to be coping well with it. His MMSE results have improved by 3 points since being diagnosed and put on medication.
    He has asked me to marry him and I wondered if anyone else knows if an Alzheimers patient is able to marry, also would we be better off Married or staying as we are?
    I love him dearly & we have always said we would marry one day .. ..but have we left it too late?

2. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    I would strongly suggest that you consult a solicitor or the CAB. As to whether he can consent you might want to have a look at this
    http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/semOAP_ch19.pdf

The pertinent point is that it says that most older people even with dementia can enter into a marriage contract - it simply requires a broad understanding of "the duties and responsibilities normally entailing to a marriage"

I think possibly the primary advantage might be to have more of a say in his care down the line, but I can imagine that there might be financial disadvantages as well.

Jennifer

PS Congratulations!

3. maria29al

maria29al Registered User

Mar 15, 2006
    Warwickshire
    Congratulations to you both...:)

M
    x

4. Brucie

Brucie Registered User

Jan 31, 2004
    near London
    I'd call the Legal Help line at Alzheimer's Society.

There are ramifications for all things. In the current political climate, being married is not necessarily the best thing to be, financially, for anyone at all.

In the case where one partner has dementia, I'm not sure which way is best - married, or not.

You need to understand the pros and cons of your possible routes.

5. Lucille

Lucille Registered User

Sep 10, 2005
    Congrats Jude. I've sent you a PM.
    :)

6. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    Congratulations lovely news

Legally or not just do it, it be a lovely day for you both , if you don’t do it legally and you have religions beliefs you could go for a blessing in the church or at home , just a thought .