1. CollegeGirl

CollegeGirl Registered User

Jan 19, 2011
    North East England
    My daughter has just told me of this new(?) allowance and I thought I'd share it in case anyone else might benefit.

Basically this allows people who earn less than the tax allowance (currently £10,600) to transfer some of that allowance (up to 10% I believe) to their spouse, meaning that the spouse will pay less tax on their own earnings.

It's not a huge amount of money, but every little helps as they say. This website explains in more detail:

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance-guide/overview

2. jaymor

jaymor Volunteer Moderator

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England
    I don't think it is new or there was something very similar where the other spouse could use an allowance that the other could not. Does that make sense:confused:

3. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    It's new and only for those born on or after 6/4/35
    The old Married Couple's Allowance for those born before 6/4/35 still exists.

4. jugglingmum

jugglingmum Registered User

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    As nitram says it is new, and one partner needs to earn less than £10,600 and the other less than £42,385

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance-guide/eligibility

It is worth at 20% £212. And for many people may cost more to apply for than they gain.

Was part of governments publicity about supporting marriage.

5. turbo

turbo Registered User

Aug 1, 2007
    I remember in 1980 when I had just started work and husband was a still a student that I was able to have all of husband's tax allowance. I can't remember if it was because he was a post graduate student.

6. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    "I was able to have all of husband's tax allowance."

That was before April 2000 when the married couple's allowance was abolished except for those born before 6/4/1935

7. turbo

turbo Registered User

Aug 1, 2007
    Thanks nitram. I seem to remember that I paid very little tax and it was a big help as we lived in London and bought a 2 bed flat in 1981.

8. CollegeGirl

CollegeGirl Registered User

Jan 19, 2011
    North East England
    It costs to apply for it :confused: ? Is that right?

9. jugglingmum

jugglingmum Registered User

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    You don't have to pay to claim it, but if you value your time and given the normal complexities that HMRC seem to throw at everything, is it worth it?

It should benefit basic rate tax payers with a non working spouse (ie classic mums with kids) but not all will complete the form.