Margaret Thatcher's dementia

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Seeing that the main angel of getting publicity on selling her book , is confirming that her mother has a dementia, which we already
new in UK

Cyn barb Gone ironing frenzy , Barb never puts what some else says in a Boxes .

It was me that said the above that I have put in a Quote box .

I read it some where on the Internet Or in a newspaper. I am sure its in one of my past TP posts that Margaret had dementia.

so I presume we all new about it any way .

It’s a bit like as on TP. When someone ask us for advice, Do we think they Love one has a dementia even thought they are typing telling us all the symptoms of dementia

We can say yes they are showing the symptoms but it could be down to other health issues . but only a doctor, consultant can diagnose a dementia , because we on TP are not experts .

Then they come back on TP confirm it saying yes my Love one has been told s/he has AZ Or a Dementia

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
The Rt. Hon. the Baroness Thatcher LG OM FRS

Lady Thatcher became Patron in 2002. As well as helping the Alzheimer's Research Trust to gain national awareness of the need for more dementia research, Lady Thatcher has spoken on our behalf and helped raise much-needed money for our charity.

http://www.alzheimers-research.org.uk/aboutus/whoweare/people.php?type=Patrons

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1888121.stm

Friday, 22 March, 2002, 15:56 GMTBaroness Thatcher has been told to give up public speaking after suffering a number of minor strokes over recent months.

BBC News Online looks at the medical condition.

Minor strokes can cause temporary weakness or numbness in an arm or leg, but the effects may only be short-lived.

Doctors say that if you have one minor stroke, there is a 40% chance that you will have another within five years.

Having a series of strokes is relatively uncommon.

However, a minor stroke - at its least severe called transient ischaemic attack (TIA) - can also be can also be a warning sign before a more serious stroke.

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
You’ve got to really admire the lady really, her daughter says she been living with it for 8 years. Just going to show how people can still live a stably life with a dementia, before it all progresses .
Margaret was photographed with Gordon brown only last year 07 .

Now I understand why her daughter made this statement

"Sufferers look and act the same but beneath the familiar exterior something quite different is going on

http://bp0.blogger.com/_EQc_hLHXONE/RulPndzUvYI/AAAAAAAAA8Q/LuPguN793Y8/s1600-h/thatcher_brown.bmp

It just a shame that its taken 8 years to come out about it, leave me wondering that its still has a stigma about dementia in Margaret Generation & in government . That she left it to her daughter to tell the world of it .

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
TP's strength, and weakness

TenderFace said:
I have twittered for many hours on TP about my mum's problems and my inability - or occassional flashes of ability - to cope with it .... as many others have done in their own circumstances in their own way ......... none of that will make any real difference nationally or globally to dementia awareness.

No, it won't. When we come here as carers we are preaching to the converted, aren't we! We come in search of information & support, give each other information, sympathy/empathy & support - but none of it amounts to anything to the world at large, nationally or globally, outside the twilight world of dementia.

I have long thought that internet blogs, newspaper on-line Comments columns, subject-specific websites and 'surveys' are actually a bad thing.
People enter into passionate debates about important subjects & tend to feel that they have expressed their views; as Karen said "made a difference".
The easy availability of such forums (fora) means that many people (dare I say 'young people'?) "vote" on them in good faith, but don't actually vote at the ballot box or get involved in public lobbying or working for actual change in the community.
Technology is not always a force for good when it gallops ahead of the mechanisms society uses to elect government, shape policies & manage social care & welfare.

(My comments obviously does not include the Alz. Society or TP members who DO get involved in public work & lobbying.)

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
(My comments obviously does not include the Alz. Society or TP members who DO get involved in public work & lobbying.)

So am left with who are you referring it to :confused: those of us who are just so bog down with caring, so can't get out in the streets to do lobbying .

No, it won't. When we come here as carers we are preaching to the converted, aren't we!

I hope I am not coming across as I am trying to convert anyone :D, because I am not .

Change is happening with people who have a dementia in the last 8 years, younger generation noticing this, even media . Its just getting high lighted on TP

So am just giving my perception of it .

when if mum go into a NH or dies . I can get out of this twilight world of dementia , try bring more awareness globally to dementia

Last edited:

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Maggie

I know that you have already done your share of marching & placard carrying. I've seen the photos :D

I wasn't pointing fingers at anyone, just expressing an opinion that has been knocking around in the back of my mind for a while now.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Maggie, Maggie, Maggie - the people who are either suffering or 'bogged down with caring' are the people who demand the hugest respect and need the hugest support as well as accolades! (Hugest hugs!!!!)

I think (may be wrong) I am the same lines as Lynne here ..... you know I get very passionate about certain issues :rolleyes: .... whilst I was trying to maintain mum in her own home (amongst sundry other matters!) I have had little time to expend energy on the placard waving and lobbying other than venting feelings and thoughts here (which have been gracefully supported, necessarily poo-poohed or suitably ignored!!!!:)) at various ridiculous times of day or night!!!!!:eek:

What I feel so strongly about now is putting this sudden 'spare time' to good use ..... else have mum and I gone through the last few years for nothing? I'm still not sure I'm that competent at waving placards .... but I do want to make the right noises in the right places (make a nuisnace of myself somewhere else in other words) where I might effect some change for the good and if it's only the back of my mother's own horrible experiences and my insight into the poor provision of care services .... blah blah - starting to sound like a politician already!:eek:)

I already feel like an ex-carer (still adjusting to my new role 'caring' for mum in different circumstances) ... but the experiences of the last few years are shaping my future thinking ..... naive Utopian thinking that I may put the bad to good use? Meanwhile, some people like you have a far more important role ..... and perhaps it's the place of us released, sadly, for different but inevitable reasons from that 24/7 caring (or 24/7 worrying as a minimum!) to promote the needs of those still there and still needing such huge support .....

I do want the experiences of the last few years to make a difference ... I am not suggesting that sharing on TP doesn't do that - if just that one other member might find some comfort from a thread or post ..... but the need to work more laterally ... to shout louder and in other places .... to make a bigger nuisance of myself if it helps someone else ........ !!!!!! ...... :p

And 100% behind your thinking, Maggie - the stigmatization has to be the first to go!!!!

That perhaps, is what has fuelled my inspiration so much today, in such a sad way, about the 'official' news about your namessake!:(

Love, Karen, x

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
What I feel so strongly about now is putting this sudden 'spare time' to good use ..... else have mum and I gone through the last few years for nothing? I'm still not sure I'm that competent at waving placards

I know now your in another level of circumstances , changes of roles of caring so now you have the time out to bring more awareness in what you feel needs changing with Dementia care.

Thats why I said

when if mum go into a NH or dies . I can get out of this twilight world of dementia , try bring more awareness globally to dementia

Its Just the way Lynn express it. I do understand where Lynn coming from as her mother in the last stages, so it must be very Emotional hard on you Lynn, as your seeing it 24/7 compared to if your mother was in a NH . Where you can walk out of that Environment, at lest have the evening or night time Just for yourself.

but none of it amounts to anything to the world at large,

But it does

As I don't perceive it like that, as I believe the world at large is reading TP lots of other areas of the Internet that d
Dementia related, because they is a lot of people on TP , Who do not post information, sympathy/empathy & support , for what every reason IE Alzheimer's Research, study s , writing a books on dementia , So really we can't Knock what we don't see in what going on in the background on Life outside of the caring role as we share our life TP Or where ever on the Internet.

When London underground stop people drinking alcohol on all London transport
People on Face book organized a London last drink up on the trains in protest, they had a massive turn out it was even in our local London paper. No I did not Go as I agreed with the banning

But my point is if you get it. The Internet has more power to unit, reach people , in more ways then people give it credit for

Last edited:

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Maggie

For once, this opinion I expressed didn't have anything much to do with my Mum's condition, or only in the most general terms.

I do 'get' your point,
Margarita said:
I believe the world at large is reading TP & lots of other areas of the Internet that Dementia related
but I don't happen to agree with it.

The Internet can only inform & educate the world at large if that world chooses to Google for Alzheimer's Disease or Dementia.
I wish that the contributors to TP were typical of the greater population, as the world would be a better place.
However, it is my opinion that a large percentage of the population would rather not know about it until they have it forced upon them by circumstances.

I fear we must agree to differ :p

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I fear we must agree to differ

So the conclusion is we agree to disagree :D

Google for Alzheimer's Disease or Dementia

because if we never had the Internet, no one would even have the chose to Goggle it for what ever reason world wide

Last edited:

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Carol Thatcher was treated in a disgusting way

She told the truth.
It is what we all do. Day by day, on this site.
Barb & Ron XXX

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
It is what we all do. Day by day, on this site

She was interview on an ITV afternoon show the other day .

She got a right Old bashing from the interviewer about how a member of Ronald raygan family & member of government had Criticized her, for taking about her mother without asking her permission, also that she never consider how her mother would feel if she new that she was writing about her life with dementia

As they keep asking her if she had told her mother she was writing about her , had she consider how her mother would feel if she new . she had to tell the truth, no she never told her mother . So he come out with so you was doing it for the money? Poor woman I ended up feeling sorry for her .

( even thought I also thought she did it to get more publicity for the book)

She said that she had spoken about it in 05 , also she would of been Dammed if she did not say anything about her mother dementia & Dammed if she did . So she new she could not win .

That when I true around to my friend , she tell me that I never ask my mother permission when I openly type about her on a web site about her.

So I tell her I am doing it for support, Not to sell a book.

Well that was all I could come out with .

But it does make me wonder about the negative public reaction she got from writing about her mother dementia , with out her permission

Maybe it worse because Margaret was in Government Or I think it could be because she never considered how her mother would feel if she new she had written about her life with dementia in a book ? . Even thought its only meant to be a small part of the book

Last edited:

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
We all wright a book, every time we post.

Please leave the daughter alone.
She mentioned dementia:eek::eek::eek:

Good on her.

Barb & Ron XXX

PS
I bet you are all glad we are going on HOLIDAY:D
XX