Managing Financial Matters

MJK

Oct 22, 2004
Hi,

My Mum was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's; she is currently in the early stages and lives alone (and generally manages pretty well). We've been advised to get an EPA as soon as possible, and hopefully that will be sorted in the next few weeks. However I have a few questions.

At the moment, Mum is able to draw money from her bank, write cheques etc enabling her to live pretty independently. I have transferred the bulk of her cash into Internet based savings so there is no danger of her "losing" it. However, in recent months, I believe she has been "ripped off" to the tune of several hundred pounds by various workmen (though it is hard to get the full facts from her!). Without taking away her access to money all together, what can we do to prevent this? Her judgement as to the value of money seems to have left her.

None of the family live close so she does need to have access to money herself. We are worried that she could become known in the area as a "soft target". How have others managed with, what must be, a common problem?

Thanks for any advice.

MJK

Oct 22, 2004
Hi Nada,

Thanks for the reply, and for pointing me to that thread. I've had a read but most of the tips would only work if I was close at hand to keep an eye on things. I'm still a bit stumped about what I can do when I live 200 miles away and only see my Mum every couple of months!

Everything just seems so complicated!!