Mams Fits

Rosie

Jun 10, 2004
South East Wales, UK.
Does anyone know if "fits" are common with AD? My mother has been having minor fits for a long time, so the staff on the unit still give her medication to control them. Thanks Rosie x

sophie123

Feb 14, 2007
Berkshire
I can only speak for myself, but my mum (54) started having fits about 9 months ago, after having AD for about 1 1/2 years. Obviously we were concerned, but the home's GP said that with AD patients, often they can suffer from small seizures or mini strokes. She is now on anti-convulsent medication and that seems to have sorted things out. Having read other posts on the forum about fits, other people seem to relate to this problem and say it is not uncommon. Hope this helps.

Soph x

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Rosie said:
Does anyone know if "fits" are common with AD?

It is worth remembering that doctors sometimes use AD as a catch-all term for dementia [presumably since more people have heard of Alzheimer's and know approximately what it means]

My Jan's first signs of her mixed dementia [AD and vascular] were 'fainting' - supposed by the doctors to be fits, but I know a faint when I see one, or a half dozen in the course of a night.

Later these progressed to be TIAs [Transient Aeschaemic Attacks], or mini strokes.

Jan's initial faints were just like normal faints. These days she has what they reckon are epileptic fits.

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
My husband takes Myoclonic jerks they were strong jerks. One the day of his first seizure he took 2 very strong jerks just before the seizure. I've been told they don't know when and if he will take another but there is a high possibility when the Dementia progresses. The seizure ended him in hospital as it took him all day to come around from it. He has deteriorated after the seizure. He was on medication for the jerks so its be doubled now. I've been told if he takes another he will be back in hospital. Looks like its part of the slippery slope.