Making a direct debit to a charity

Kate_S

Aug 24, 2013
I have recently sold my Aunt's house in order to pay for her care home fees. At the bank today I wanted advice about getting the best deal for her account, as her original pension money was just put in a basic account, but can now upgrade it. The bank said if I set up another direct debit, she will get cash back into the account. They suggested setting up a small DD to a charity. Do you think I can do this without letting the Office of the Public Guardian know? Or do I have to call them and get permission. It would only be £2 -£3 per month. Was wondering if anyone had any experience of this. Tried to ring OPG today, but long wait on the phone:)

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Kate_S
I doubt the OPG would be concerned about such a small amount.
I really do wonder, though, if it's worth it. What is the rate of cash back? If it's only paid on the amounts that are paid out of the account (rather than the full amount in it), with interest rates as low as they are, would much more that the £2-3pm be paid into the account as cashback?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If it does not have to be a charity just open an account with another bank and bounce money between the accounts by DD. No question of giving funds to a charity.