Make a law for the ration of staff per resident in a dementia care home

Status
Not open for further replies.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Yes I have seen this thanks and I have been in contact with them but it isn't a legal requirement only a recommendation and Carehomes can get round it.

Oh I realise it's not a legal requirement but it is a very good point for starting a conversation and to refer to.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I don't quite understand what you are saying. I am looking for a minimum number of carers (this is not including the cleaning, kitchen , office staff) these are the people who are caring for those with dementia. I think there should be minimum one to four people . if the number of residents change then they can adapt to that. The flat minimum should be a good minimum not one to seven as it sometimes is.

The problem is that the number of residents is not as relevant as their care needs - so if there is a specification of one to four (which is very unlikely to happen) and those four residents change in time from people with moderate dementia to people with very complex physical and mental needs eg someone who has had a stroke and also has Alzheimer's then 1:4 might not be enough but the care homes (most of them would never put in more than the minimum - would say, sorry we have the right number of carers ! and that would be that . At the moment it is based on whether needs are met and if needs are not being met and people complain both to the manager and to safeguarding and to the CQC then they have to increase the number of staff

Last edited:

JaneStreet

Apr 4, 2014
The problem is that the number of residents is not as relevant as their care needs - so if there is a specification of one to four (which is very unlikely to happen) and those four residents change in time from people with moderate dementia to people with very complex physical and mental needs eg someone who has had a stroke and also has Alzheimer's then 1:4 might not be enough but the care homes (most of them would never put in more than the minimum - would say, sorry we have the right number of carers ! and that would be that . At the moment it is based on whether needs are met and if needs are not being met and people complain both to the manager and to safeguarding and to the CQC then they have to increase the number of staff

All I am arguing for is a minimum number of carers to residents (like for instance in a children's nursery) We would never dream of leaving large numbers of children of nursery age with very few staff. When you say 1:4 isn't enough I would doubt there are any care homes that have a higher ratio of staff than that even with people with complex needs. When I visit my mother I am shocked by how long people are left to their own devices, for me it's not so much the dangers of falling (this can happen in their own homes) it's the bewilderment and distress on their faces that bothers me. They have a terrible illness and they need reassurance. I have complained about the number of staff to the manager and to the CQC but nothing changes. These are "Care" homes charging £35,000 a year - their websites read like a holiday cruise and it's a disgrace.

Kiki lawrence

May 6, 2019
I am a carer in a 36 bed dementia home. Conditions vary, as I'm sure u all know, and can also deteriorate quickly.
I know where i work the training is ongoing and in depth.
Pay is an issue in keeping naturally caring staff but that is throughout the world of care.
It is very difficult to monitor staff levels due to the uncertainty of dementia and the progress of the disease.
I do think that homes should re assess more often as clients need more care and reassurance.
Happy to sign to try and create a clearer number. I want to spend more time with my residents.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I will sign, it may help to start getting recognition for what is a very skilful job.

Just tried, site says it is closed, it ran for 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.