Magic of cuddly toy

Careforme

Apr 15, 2014
Hello, I have not posted for a while but would like to share my experience with you which has brought some happiness to some tough days..... All by the help of a cuddly toy Dalmatian dog purchased from Disney store! Yes, was passing the shop with my mother who is only 63 and as I do try make her feel happy, said let's go have a look at all the kids stuff which I knew she would be real happy about. We were only going in for a nose about to look at the colourful things then I clocked my eyes on all the cuddly toys. We were in the shop for ages, pulling them all out talking away to them. Mum was ecstatic, the way she spoke I had never heard such loving and relaxed words said for so long. I knew I had to buy it!!

The last three days, hard yes although this little cuddly fella has given us so much fun and mum looks after it like it's her little baby. Mum has been very content and engaged and it had been an absolute joy to watch her blethering away to her new friend. My mum finds it difficult to put any sentence together and I have heard her singing away, making up songs which actually rhyme and it's been amazing! Never going to make it all better I know but seeing her so happy and that little bit of calm and seeing her be how caring she was has made me feel great.

Just wanted to share this, from me getting this, I picked up a small baby doll which you can change it's clothes and it's been great too, even although it's a girl, my mother likes to say it's a boy!

Please let me know if anyone else has any other suggestions, I will do anything to make the rest of my mothers days to the best I can.

Thanks so much everyone, don't give up x

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
What a heartwarming post, Careforme :) I am so pleased that you mum has responded in this way. I'm sorry, I don't have any ideas, I just wanted to say well done :)

Lindy xx

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Thank you reading your post has reminded me of the joy of watching my Mum with her much loved teddy called Litlun.
She like your Mum spoke , cuddled, bounced it like a baby sung to it , I spent many a happy hour , showing Mum how well Litlun was growing up by making it jump, do cartwheels and using her legs as a slide (mum was virtually bedbound) I would even speak in a squeaky voice to mum as though Litlun was speaking to her. Like you I would do anything that made mum happy .

When my Admiral nurse saw mum with her teddy, she suggested a doll as it was more life like and she had had good experiences with dementia patients and dolls, I decided to stick to teddies and soft toys as they were so soft and cuddly .

Last edited:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
This sounds so mad to me as a man that I might actually give it a try, somehow I can see what you might mean but it seems careforme and care for me are all brands and the plug for Disney too?. I won't report the post but it seems a bit "commercial".
K

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Kevinl Hi. Doll therapy worked well with my mum, for which I am very grateful, like most things with Dementia what works for one person will not for another.

My dad discovered the benefits of doll therapy by accident.
He was having a clear out in the loft and came across an old mothers day gift I had bought a few yrs before. A medium sized soft white mouse holding a red heart . he showed it to my mum who was then in late mid stage and had taken to her bed.

She was over joyed and really thought it was her little baby , after that we bought mum nice soft teddy's who to prevent mum being upset or confused were all named Litlun

Last edited:

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
I care for my Mum with Alzheimers, and at this stage she loves soft fluffy blankets.

I know that my husbands grandmother, who lived overseas had dementia but I'm not sure what type. She passed away at age 93 and in her last year was given a female doll, but she insisted it was her baby Robert (who was her youngest son) Poor Uncle Robert, quite hard for him to see his mother who did not recognise him, but was so fond of this doll who was her baby Robert.
That doll would go everywhere, and got so ratty, that the nursing home asked the family to buy another one the same, so they could switch it and wash one at a time, and put matching clothes on each.
Granny would sing old scottish songs to her baby Robert, when she could hardly string a sentence.
Obviously brought a lot of comfort though.

Last edited:

Careforme

Apr 15, 2014
Thank you for your words. Has been a comfort to know I wasn't the only one experiencing this myself. I am saddened that anyone would want to report my post. I never use any other form of social media or post any comments on any social networking sites. I thought I would share my experience knowing how tough things can be and to give anyone else some thoughts.

I look at this forum whenever I get the chance to see any other advice or tips and reading posts know I am not the only daughter going through this with their family.

Maybe I should not have used 'Disney', I didn't realise I couldn't use branded names on this.

Thank you, I Am glad this has brought some comfort and happiness to others too. Appreciate it thanks.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Kevinl Hi. Doll therapy worked well with my mum
Like I said " I might actually give it a try" but I still wonder if this is a commercial post or not by the original OP or a commercial venture, being sold to us.
K

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
You can find lots of articles about the benefits of doll therapy. This is one -

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=2222

We have a Scottie dog door stop which my husband will talk to from time to time!

The Understanding Dementia course had a really good video clip about doll therapy but I'll need to wait until dawn go look for it. The phone under the duvet isn't going to be conducive to finding it.

I hope your mum continues to get pleasure from her soft toys.

Careforme

Apr 15, 2014
Thanks Izzy, I will take a look! Appreciate this.

Will also just point out, it's not only toys my mum will talk to, she chats away to the plants in house too. Asking them how they are. Even when looking through magazines seeing pictures of people.

We also have a budgie which she talks away to aswell. When she is having a good day, she will talk like I knew my mother to be than how quiet and lost withdrawn how she is on not so good days.

Her new cuddly toy has been a joy this week,it might not last that long and could get fed up with it but the small bit of happiness made the time I spent with mum enjoyable under difficult circumstances this week.

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Hello, I have not posted for a while but would like to share my experience with you which has brought some happiness to some tough days..... All by the help of a cuddly toy Dalmatian dog purchased from Disney store! Yes, was passing the shop with my mother who is only 63 and as I do try make her feel happy, said let's go have a look at all the kids stuff which I knew she would be real happy about. We were only going in for a nose about to look at the colourful things then I clocked my eyes on all the cuddly toys. We were in the shop for ages, pulling them all out talking away to them. Mum was ecstatic, the way she spoke I had never heard such loving and relaxed words said for so long. I knew I had to buy it!!

The last three days, hard yes although this little cuddly fella has given us so much fun and mum looks after it like it's her little baby. Mum has been very content and engaged and it had been an absolute joy to watch her blethering away to her new friend. My mum finds it difficult to put any sentence together and I have heard her singing away, making up songs which actually rhyme and it's been amazing! Never going to make it all better I know but seeing her so happy and that little bit of calm and seeing her be how caring she was has made me feel great.

Just wanted to share this, from me getting this, I picked up a small baby doll which you can change it's clothes and it's been great too, even although it's a girl, my mother likes to say it's a boy!

Please let me know if anyone else has any other suggestions, I will do anything to make the rest of my mothers days to the best I can.

Thanks so much everyone, don't give up x

Hi!..if you think where in her life her memories are..and what makes her happy emotionally..it gives you a clue as to how to help her!..have a look at the bookcase senario..

My dad is 78..he gets very low..so i bought him a shaun the sheep video..it suits his sense of humour..and he laughs so loud he loves it..i even got him a big cuddly shaun the sheep..

He went to see the movie with my daughter and husband and belly laughed the whole time..he had a sad minute when farmer loses his memory..but on the whole it cheers him up..

He tells e everyone and tries to lone out his dvds to get people to watch him..
Generally people are great..but i always say if its good for him thats fine by me!..even if me and my husband had to eat several happy meals to get him the full set of shaun the sheep toys...!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
My mum was not much of a one for cuddly toys but one day at her home there was a raffle and I passed her a fluffy polar bear and she took to it. So I went out and got her a teddy, couldn't find a polar bear, and she and Teddy have become good friends.:) Initially she cuddled him a lot, but now he sits there and they chat sometimes.:) teddy also now has a wife, at mum's request, and a baby bear too.:D

I would never had thought she would take to a soft toy, i thought she would think it was stupid, so like Careforme I do recommend trying one. :)

Careforme

Apr 15, 2014
Been a productive day today, making a 'fidget' box for mum. Slightly different for Mother's Day tomorrow! I would usually be buying mum clothes to wear or jewellery but decided to make up a box with a mixture of items she can play with.

Mum likes looking through her bag or make up bags arranging her things or hiding them so thought this would be a good item. Filled it with lots of things she will like and small games, sweeties etc. Decorated it all with stickers etc. Looking forward to her opening it for a surprise!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good idea!

We've kind of ended up with a fidget box by accident! I've discovered Bill likes envelopes and leaflets and so on. He now has a box containing all of the flyers which keep getting dropped through the door, travel leaflets and envelopes. I've printed off some labels with his name and address on them and put them on some envelopes then I popped some junk mail letters in them. He spends ages sorting through them. I added a little photo album but he ripped the pictures out! The other night he was holding a leaflet from some store or other and looking at the pictures. I then saw him giving each of the pictures a kiss!!!

Di Lavers

Jun 27, 2012
Hythe, Southampton
My mum now loves her teddies. We go to the store where she can choose it and make it herself. She also has the animal ornaments from the garden centre and she sits and gives them water each day. She wets her finger and puts it on their noses mouth and eyes. Talks to them. Keep her happy and occupied. Worth every penny. If she gets upset at night I put the one in bed with her that she presses the law and it says "I love you" settles her down.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
' I've discovered Bill likes envelopes and leaflets and so on. He now has a box containing all of the flyers which keep getting dropped through the door, travel leaflets and envelopes.'

Izzy, it is uncanny how our husbands can be so alike -- my husband spends ages sorting through just the same things! He has a box full, but sometimes he tears items or pictures from them, so as the pile gets depleted the postman's delivery or stuff out of magazines tops it up.

Lisa74

May 27, 2011
Aww what a lovely idea! It must be nice to see her so happy.

My Mum treats child patients so has some toys in a bag that she brings home from work to wipe with antibac wipes (to avoid cross-contamination)- my Gran (who has VaD) is always quite interested. Mum also has a fluffy monkey puppet that she uses at work and my Gran seemed to be quite thrilled when she first saw it so maybe we should see if she'd like a cuddly of her own :)

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
This sounds so mad to me as a man that I might actually give it a try.............
As a man it sounded a great idea to me when I read something similar last year. So I stitched together a comfort blanket for my Mom which included a small dog (not real :D ), a soft toilet bag with zips and pockets etc...

Sometimes she cannot be parted from it and others she wants to rip everything off.:)

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
I remember some time ago I took my mum out for lunch. On the way home I had to get a key cut and while we were waiting my Mum picked up World Cup Willie. She spoke more to Willie than she had to me during the course of lunch. I am off to see her again next week and must check where a cuddly toy I bought her some time ago has gone. No on second thoughts I will buy her a seal and talk about Donna Nook and even show her pictures of where the seals come in to breed round here. Thank goodness I spotted this Thread.