made the first move pt 2

dave b

Nov 21, 2006
staffs
first of all thanks to everyone for the advice in what to look out for,on our first trip to a nh!.
I went with a little trepidation,moral support from a girlfriend,quite pleasantly supprised by the welcome from the staff.
most things people said to look out for were on the noticeboard, so the basics were easy to look for.
the walk round was not to bad,the home has 2 levels of emi + nursing & basic residential,so it's a fairly big place,an old convent in open country about 10 mins from home,they have 6 dining rooms,like small bistro's each with a kitchen & the menue varies each day,i could move ther'e myself?
debit side ther'e was a little whiff in one area!,we both noticed on the first walk through there,on the second it didn't seem that bad( nose accustomed?)
overall most residents seemed quite happy,so maybe i should start talking money!i think the manager is going to get in touch in the next couple of days,there arooms available so will let you know the outcome
thanks,
dave
w e mention md this to theto the staff & they said that the carpets were in the process of all being replaced AS the co has a zero tollerance of mess!

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
It all sounds very nice. The "whiff" you talk about could just have been an accident that had not been dealt with yet.

It makes such a difference when you find a nice place.

dave b

Nov 21, 2006
staffs
thanks taylorcat
what i forgot to mention was that the staff think it is just one resident that likes to mark his territory(behind a fire extingusher):eek:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
It sounds promising, Dave, especially as they have rooms available. I'd go and look at a few more though, before you decide, to give yourself some points of comparison.

Did you get a copy of the inspection report? Not that that's the be-all and end-all, the ones I've read have missed out all the things I was interested in!

Do a price comparison, too, fees can vary tremendously, and if you're self-funding, it pays to know what you're letting yourself in for.

Love,

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Dear Daveb.Taffys words are quite true.Working in a home.like i do! accidents are very very common..This is something that prospective families are "put off" by.please don't let the smell put you off.Go back for another visit maybe?Being blunt.i or any other staff cannot predict when a resident will soil the floor.Unfortunatley it is all part and parcel of care,be it residentiial,nursing,or emi.Continence is my forte at work.sorry if i have over stepped the mark with your concerns.love elainex