Lump in the throat

Fefe

May 15, 2021
Hi everyone,

my father has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. Recently he started to feel a “lump in the throat” specially in the night and he cannot sleep and starts crying and desperating. He did gastroscopy and a ENT visit and he has nothing wrong. Doctors say it’s Alzheimer-related. Anyone has the same experience? We do not know how to handle this. It happens almost every night.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Fefe
a warm welcome to DTP

how distressing for your father and your family

it's good that tests have shown nothing wrong .... were those through the SALT, Speech and Language Team ... if not maybe ask for a referral, as they will look into your father's swallow ... or consider sleep apnoea

might you try having your father propped up with pillows, so he's not laying down flat .... you could try giving him a paracetomol before bedtime, saying it will help with his throat, it might reassure him ... and a herbal tea aimed at helping sleep

sometimes those with dementia think a normal body/physical reaction is something wrong and fixate on it, so need reassurance that what they feel is OK ... try playing some soothing music so your father has something to distract him

that's not to say that there may be something not quite right, so do keep his GP/consultant informed ... possibly ask about a light sedative to help him get to sleep

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My husband frequently obsesses over some non existent physical things and I am glad that you had your dad checked out to reassure yourself.

My husband was convinced that he had some terrible stomach cancer and he had all sorts of tests which revealed nothing. This went on for about two years. I believe that he has trouble with constipation and goes overboard with laxatives and of course, he won't listen to anything I suggest.

Following his first Covid jab, he went into a real panic that he had some dire side effects (so much on TV) and again tests proved nothing wrong. Just recently, he made an appointment to see our GP but can't remember why he thought he needed it.

I simply stay aware of his general health and act if and when I think he needs medical help.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im glad the tests have not found a problem.
Anxiety and dementia are common bed-fellows. Sometimes anxiety itself can cause a sensation like a lump in the throat and evening/night is often a time when people with dementia feel most anxious.
Could you ask the GP whether he could have some medication to reduce anxiety and help him sleep?

Catastrophe

Feb 15, 2019
Wish I could make a more helpful suggestion, other than it will probably pass. My dad is fixated on his lower legs, there is nothing wrong but he is convinced there is. He also adopts other people's illnesses. After hearing about a friends hip replacement. He decided he needed one. It faded in days. Hopefully your Dad's worries will settle soon.