LPOA and bank accounts

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I tried to renew my passport as it expires in Dec but wanted it for identity. Unless the situation has changed in the last 2 weeks it seemed pretty impossible. Fortunately the driving license is valid.
I also paid £25.00 for a certified copy of the LPA. I followed advise on here and I put a post it note on the actual certified copy when sending asking that it is returned, as well as asking in the letter.
I don’t think I have come across the same process for any of the financial institution yet and I am on about number 10 currently.
Yes, I thought now was not a good time to renew my passport as the Passport Office is very busy and is fast-tracking people who want to travel imminently. I'll apply once the situation settles down.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
The solicitor is charging me £40 +VAT for 4 certified copies which seems pricey but I've accepted it. She is not seeing clients at the moment so I'm just dropping it through the door and will pick the copies up later.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
That sounds a bit pricey nita, but in the great scheme of things (when dealing with dementia) I wouldn't worry about it.

I will be using the new system when my father's LPA is registered, which should be soon. I will let others know how I get on.

I've been registering my mother's Enduring POA with a number of financial institutions as she has relationships with quite a few. They vary from fair to bad with some having

Good advice but I got a cut price 15 copies for £90!!!

Bargain! My mother's solicitor holds the original, so I didn't have much choice about who made the copies. I think I got 10 copies made, and I still have 5 left.

One financial institution managed to actually shred the certified copy after scanning it. I discovered this when I kept pressing them to return it. They then offered compensation. But there's the reason you never send the original!

Beth there shouldn't be any problem renewing a passport at the moment, I know a couple of people who have done so.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
@Sirena - I'm not dealing with dementia but a person with severe mental and physical difficulties. However, he's much more stable mentally now and has been for about 10 years - he suffered 40 years of bad symptoms. It was my mother who had Alzheimer's - that progressed too quickly for me to get POA so I had to get COP deputyship for her. She died 3 and a half years ago and I still miss her a lot, haven't really been able to properly move on.

Did you need that many copies? I hope I have covered all bases. I'm surprised at someone needed 15.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Thanks @Sirena I will have a look again into getting my passport renewed.
@nita I have 2 certified copies but it is taking time. One of Mum’s pension companies said it would take 4 weeks for them to registrar it Whereas others have sent it back within a couple of days

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
It's probably not permitted but I have scanned the certified copies so I can now print out more copies as I need them or I can send them via email. I don't have a very expensive printer but the copies are very good quality and pretty identical to the one signed by a solicitor.

Tigger68

Jul 14, 2019
It’s def worth asking a few solicitors what they charge for a certified copy. I got one that did certified copies for £5 a copy, whereas others were charging £5 per page !!
Most fin institutions are ok with a scan or photo of the main page of LPA sent by email (much to my surprise) But not the bank or state agencies.
The bank were v. Good in facilitating my online access to mums account - it makes a world of difference to me, knowing she is ok and apparently managing on some level.
Great idea to scratch the security code off the back. My nightmare is mum being scammed over the phone or on her doorstep - both have happened before.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Beth there shouldn't be any problem renewing a passport at the moment, I know a couple of people who have done so.

Re passports, I think people who are getting them quickly after applying, are those who can prove they are travelling imminently.

Just for information, this is what the Passport Office is saying now:-

But what HMPO is also asking is that if people do not need to renew right now, then they should wait until after Summer. This is always a busy time and with the added difficulties during the coronavirus pandemic, HMPO has had to scale back its operation. But it is working hard to get services fully resumed as soon as possible.

By the way, is it called "renewing" your passport when you've let it lapse? I think mine expired a few years ago.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
That makes sense, nita.
I think you can still 'renew' as long as you have the old passport, but not sure.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I would like to share very recent experience with a Lasting Power of Attorney that I have received back, registered, from the Office of the Public Guardian in the last few days. The OPG have a new online system. I am a harsh critic of the laggardly OPG but praise where it is due, this new system is good. You register online, which is simple, and you can then nominate banks etc to whom you wish to issue a code. You send the code to the bank or financial institution and they can use it to log in and view the essential detail of the registered POA. It means you do not have to pay a solicitor to make multiple copies of the POA, or write letters to every organisation, fill in lots of forms etc. It is free. Now here is the down-side. Once the POA is registered with the OPG you have to register it individually with each financial institution so that they know you're an authorised person. Hardly of these organisations are accepting online codes. They are all apparently stuck in the last century.

Last edited by a moderator: